Saturday 6 August 2011

Post No. 293 - Working with dreams: an example

I recently posted about the "Six Yogas of Naropa", one of which is working with dream state - which I commented further about here. Well, I've recently had a sequence of dreams which helps to illustrate one of the ways this part of life can become very productive.

In the first dream, I found myself at railway station where many people were finding themselves lost. I discussed this with someone, and was told to "get back in there and get things moving" - at which point I awoke. In a dream interpretation mode, this would possibly be interpreted as people's lives drifting away from their planned progression or purpose, but then, how would I be meant to get that many people's lives back "on track"? (Maybe by finishing my regression-rescue book and getting it published :) Ah well, dream on ") )

No, I think this is more likely to be advice to do more of my rescue work, the bulk of which I do while asleep (my partner and I sometimes joke about waking exhausted by all the work we've done while asleep: that's not too far off the mark, often). Since that dream, I have done more work on rescue both while asleep, and while awake. (I've also done more work on my regression-rescue book.)

The next dream I wish to write about is one where I found myself working in a place that I find is run by killer, someone who uses fear to control and intimidate. I recall the sense of peril just by being near this person. In the dream, I try to escape (and succeed), but I don't think to try and destroy that person's control or their empire, I don't think of the others affected by this person.

What does that mean? It means I still have to work on my problem of fear (and I find it strange when other people consider I don't have fear - a bit like I find it strange when people think I am calm, as I KNOW just how much of a problem I have with fear and anger ... and part of the fear is of what I could do - which is something Marianne Williamson wrote about once, which is often incorrectly attributed to Nelson Mandela [1] ).

I treat problems in dreams as being very real - and, conversely, dreams also provide ways of working through physical reality problems. I recall reading (I think in Patricia Garfield's "Creative Dreaming") of a woman who was afraid of riding a bicycle because of her fear around fixing flat tyres: she addressed this through dreams, and then was able to take up riding in the physical because she had overcome her phobia. Some writers have also covered the use of dreams for initiations or tests - the only one I can think of is Peter Richelieu's "A Soul's Journey", but I have major doubts about the validity of that book because of the racism, sexism, colonialism and general discrimination found in it.

More generally, Joan Grant's book "Winged Pharaoh" shows the potential for achieving a great deal, and doing a great deal of work, in what we commonly write off as "dreaming".

Subsequently, I was retested, and this time I stood up to another boss.

Some time ago, I posted asking if anyone wanted to be a knight in shining armour. That was about psychic work in the so-called "awake" state (what seems a dream to us now, the astral world, is actually FAR more conscious than this world). Extending that theme, however, say you want ... maybe ... adventures, but you can't take off for a range of valid reasons (e.g., health, dependants, choice of other matters being more important). Then you CAN have the adventures you wish by learning to control your dreams - lucid dreaming and more.

You may even find that, by having better sleep (because of the preparation, attention to room conditions, getting to bed early enough, etc), you function better in the physical world, and thus enjoy both worlds better. The key here is to go to bed with the INTENTION of having a certain type of dream AND remembering it. (Maybe also read Joan Grant's book "Winged Pharaoh", which I mentioned once before.) When learning to do this, I also used to keep a pen and small pad beside my bed, and when I woke I would right in that with my eyes closed, using one finger along the edge of the pad to guide my writing. That may be a bit difficult, but, if you can, at least lay in bed for a few moments and review your dreams before getting up, and write what you do recall. (This assumes you don't need an alarm to wake - which suggests going to bed earlier if you can - and that you don't have small children :) )

Love, light, hugs and blessings

Gnwmythr
(pronounced "new-MYTH-ear")

Notes:
  1. “Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.”

Tags: dreams, astral travel, astral, personal responsibility,

First published: Laugardagr, 6th August, 2011

Last edited: Saturday, 6th August, 2011