Wednesday 26 December 2012

Post No. 419 - An end of year hodge podge

Well, I normally detest and loathe the end-of-year break (I refuse to use the Christian terminology that is so predominant here in Australia [2] out of pure cantankerous with a dash of grumpiness and a seasoning of crotchetiness). Apart from the unthinkingly ubiquitous Christian elements (some of which may or may not have been borrowed from paganism), it is hot - stinking hot, usually, and today with a forecast maximum of 39 degree Celsius is by no means anywhere near the worst for this time of year, even in the southern lattitudes of Australia (not southernmost - that is Tasmania, of course, but there also gets hot) - and crowded, and there are lots of naive assumptions about jollity (for a contrast on that, see here, here and here - and here), and everything is expensive, and the time of year is aggressively materialistic, commercial and selfish (what is the message most kids get? Gimme, gimme, gimme ... ). I avoid the work end of year functions out of principle - several principles, actually, and point out that compulsory time off at this time of year is not necessarily of benefit to people.

Nevertheless, this year I am so exhausted I am looking forward to not working, and thus not dealing with the stress of work, that I am actually looking forward, in a small way, to the break.I think my brain was telling me it wanted to stop for a while recently since it was playing a combination of the William Tell Overture and Macarena as I was driving home [3] after work a while ago ... Yes, time for a break - so here are a few various thoughts before I go and do exactly that :) 

Now, I've been reading a book recently, and it is one of the best books on paganism that I have come across for a long time: "Travels through Middle Earth: the Path of a Saxon Pagan", by Alaric Albertsson (Pub. Llewellyn, 2009, ISBN 978-0-7387-1536). I have had one of the fewest disagreements with any book ever, with this book: it includes the partially mythic notion of mediaeval lords having first night "rights" with new brides, which may have happened occasionally, but was not, as I understand it, a widespread or commonly accepted thing (see here, particularly the last few paragraphs), and I consider the Christmas tree and the Yule log have been a bit conflated, but it is, overall, excellent.

For instance, in discussing when to hold Lammas, Alaric Albertsson says this was traditionally held when the first harvest occurred.

Yes! YES!! YES!!! 

If you don't know when that is, then you need to start growing something (when I lived in a flat, I grew potatoes in a pot) and start reestablishing a connection with Nature, with the natural cycles that were part of our creation and still are part of this world, so that you may better understand and harmonise with it. I've been watching the film "Men Who Stare at Goats" lately, and one of the things I like about that film is the "Earth Prayer" (I use a slightly modified version) of the mythical "New Earth Army" (based somewhat on the actual First Earth Battallion).

Mother Earth… my life support system… as a soldier… I must drink your blue water… live inside your red clay and eat your green skin.
I pray… my boots will always kiss your face and my footsteps match your heartbeat.
Carry my body through space and time… you are my connection to the Universe… and all that comes after.
I am yours and you are mine.
I salute you.


I would also like to have had a list of the Saxon names for the months (like this one), but maybe I can find that on line somewhere. Some of the other things I liked about this book are:
  • the importance of a close, personal connection with goddesses and gods; 
  • finding out that the path of the Sun is called "the Glory of the Elves", and that three of the worlds lie on it; 
  • the notion that Ragnorak is actually the influence of the Christian concept of Armageddon is interesting (and, I consider, quite plausible); 
  • the best deity to work with on any particular aim/goal/task is the deity you have established the best relationship with, not the one which seems best on the shopping list of characteristics (I teach this type of attitude when teaching about crystals)
  • and lots of other stuff. 

The thoughts on "passage of life" rituals led to yet more thinking of rites around maturity. When we, as a species, were gatherer-hunters, reaching puberty was also when one could make useful contributions to survival, by finding food or taking part in hunts. Life nowadays, post agriculture and "civilisation" is far more complicated, and the reality of life is that children who have reached puberty can NOT make a useful contribution to survival of the family: the best sign of maturity, "nowadays", is the only one that applies in the non-human animal world - the ability to exist independent of parental care. So, I now consider that we should mark these passages of life as beginning apprentice adulthood (at puberty), and finishing apprentice adulthood - when one has lived on one's own (or, at least, independently of parents) for at least one year. Rituals to mark these should involve both apprentice and parents, as both are taking on duties and roles.

On the other side of that, I now consider one cannot be considered a crone or sage until one's children have been gone from the nest for at least two years.

So, all told, this is a book that is well worth a read.

Moving on to other matters, last Friday I did a modification of the Peace, Hope, Love and Prosperity spell at an event organised for Global Healing on the 21st (see here and here). I was there as a representative of paganism, and was the only person to acknowledge the feasting elements of the event, and the theme of lanterns; I had meant to cover practical, physical work as well (compost heaps), but in the stress of the occasion and life beforehand forgot to, but fortunately an atheist was there who did (I think that shows good inclusivity).

It is all important, along with activating the Earth Star Chakra ... (see here, here and here

This was all tied up with having a positive response to the rubbish about the so-called end of the world because the Mayan calendar had reached its start again point, where all the various cycles combine together - as they have man times before in the world's 4 and a bit billion years of existence, without a lot happening. On that, I like the First Earth  Battallion's comment on this, which is here.


So, going back to reading :)

I've also been re-reading Jim Butcher's "Cold Days", latest in the Dresden series: I find these books very relaxing, but I also get some good things to think about, and a few thoughts have come to mind:
  • the activity and intensity of the mental warfare between Molly and the character known as "the Corpsetaker" is what happens every single time anyone takes on an uncooperative; 
  • the description of the psychic defences around the island/entity Demonreach have given me another idea for a psychic device: hopefully I will one day get the opportunity to build it ... (it involves making lots of symbols in copper wire, and arranging them in a few directions around a space which is to be made a sacred - i.e. psychic working - space)
  • I consider many predators lack honour: they use ambush techniques, seek unfair advantage (by choosing ill, young or weak prey) and have greater strength than their prey: a more honourable role model - although not one that would work, perhaps, in shamanic situations - is a knight, who worked very hard to hone her (see here and here) or his skills because they knew their opponent would be able to fight back; 
  • the comments on will and the way that emotions are an expression of will are good, but I consider it more a case of emotions are a boost or fuel for one's will; 
  • the comments on being harder on others in order to prepare them are worth considering: I've become harder on this aspect over the years, as I've seen more people get into trouble by being wishy-washy or too fluffy bunny, or overly encouraged and praise when they needed to be objective, dispassionate and unemotional; 
  • the term "quest for power" or "desire for power" seems to always be interpreted in a negative way, but peace is a power as well, and thus the desire for peace is a desire for power; 
  • the comment that cats can move in and out of circles is backed up by my experience, but people who are so focused on not preventing entry or egress may be so upset at the breach of their rules that they themselves create the dissonance that they expect; 
  • there is some good material on MANNERS.
Now, a few other random thoughts that I once planned on writing up into entire posts.
  • When teaching young kids (pre-apprentice adult) about how to teach others, I consider there is really good reason NOT to say "treat others as you would like to be treated". They lack the maturity and, above all else, the maturity to be able to understand the subtleties of this, and thus you get the kids who make diabetics tea or coffee with sugar in it because that is how the kid would like it (and this can continue into the kid's older years - adulthood, if they otherwise mature enough). The truth is, everyone is different - if someone asks me if I want a cuppa, I expect them to be mature enough to ask me how I like it, and not simply make the cuppa the way they like them. So, tell the kids the truth: life experience helps, but above all else, ask people how they want to be treated. If the kid doesn't have a chance to do so, treat them as they would like to be treated as a starting point, but be prepared to adapt and change that without being upset.
  • How do we "fix" domestic violence? Well, there is a lot of good material around on that, but one aspect I consider isn't getting enough consideration is making being single socially acceptable. There is ENORMOUS pressure to be with someone else - if you're not, then the presumption is that there is something wrong with you. That pressure, I consider, drives many people into relationships they shouldn't be in - much as social pressure used to drive gays and lesbians into heterosexual relationships, either as a cover, or to end the massive, massive, massive social pressure that gets put onto anyone who is different. When we have films and books portraying single people as being normal, happy and fulfilled, the world will be making some progress.
  • Spiritual growth is NOT all about fluffiness and niceness and warm, fuzzy emotions: it is about being all that you can be, and that involves being pushed, being at times uncomfortable, and having to CHANGE yourself. (I'm possibly going to make this one of my talks next year.) 
  • Spiritual growth, particularly if you make the mistake of thinking it is about fluffiness and niceness and warm, fuzzy emotions, can be a very fragile thing: given enough of a push, and almost anyone can backslide ...
Next: by now, I expect most people reading this blog would know of the recent, terrible shooting in the USA. Sadly, the debate on gun control is going the way such debates have in the past, with the NRA taking a lead part in opposing even modest changes (with regard to their suggestion of an armed guard, do they know that, even with trained soldiers, the percentage who can actually kill people is extremely low, and thus their suggestion of armed guards are not necessarily going to help against a deranged gunman?). It was interesting to read one media article which said the NRA was formed by veterans of the US Civil War, who were concerned about poor shooting of soldiers (see preceding comments!). In the late 60s and early 70s, the NRA was actually cooperating on gun reform ... until a change of leadership in the late 70s. A more recent article has outlined some of the political blocks to achieving change in the USA: I might have to see if I can get a copy of Robert Caro's book.

Moving on .. This year, the Summer Solstice was on the 21st. Last year, the 21st and 22nd were both of equal length, so I honoured both as being the solstice. I do not accept the adoption of some astronomical definition of when the solstice is - that misses the point. The concept of solstice comes from a time when light and warmth meant something - and the summer solstice, from that time, is the longest day, as winter solstice is the longest night. Don't try to superimpose some modern concept that is alien to what the solstice is about - or even ancient, yet still alien concepts around declination. Longest day, longest night. That's it.(Although the later Greeks and Romans apparently judged this by when the Sun stopped climbing higher in the sky: I hold to my point.)

As a final comment, I've just found out how popular one of my poems has been on my creative writing blog. That came about when I published a few poems (none of 'em anything flash) and had more hits in a day than I ever have had here. Wow.

Might keep trying this on-line caper ... might even keep my website, as I've even had a few comments (face to face) by people who've looked at it and approve.

Maybe the hard slog is worth it ...

[1] BPF = Balanced Positive (spiritual) Forces. See here and here for more on this.

[2] Please see my post "The Death of Wikipedia" for the reasons I now recommend caution when using Wikipedia. 

[3] My car's gear box died a few months ago as I drove home late one Friday night. "Fortunately" (hah!) I was able to coast round a corner into a side street and found myself opposite a mechanic who happened to be open late. They did a good job of replacing the gearbox, at a reasonable price, but my radio-casette player stopped working, and I haven't been able to replace it since, so music while I am driving is either non-existent, or in my head :)


Love, light, hugs and blessings


Giles-ina (we've been watching Buffy, and I've been told I'm the female version of Giles ... personally, I don't think he's grumpy enough for the comparison :) ) 

My "blogiography" is here. I started this blog to cover karmic regression-rescue (see here and here), and it grew ...
May the world of commerce and business be recognised to be a servant, not a master, of the lives of people.
A home is for living in, not feeling, becoming or being rich or a “better” class than others.
The International Labour Organisation's definition of "full employment" is wrong, useless and misleading.
Armageddon is alive and well and happening right now: it is a battle between the indolence of "I only ..." and/or "I just ..." on one side, and perspicacity on the other.
Like fire to the physical, emotions to the soul make a good servant, and a bad master. Spiritual love is far more than just an emotion - it is a concept, thoughts, actions and a way of living.
The only prejudice should be against prejudice. 
"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger [people]." JOHN F. KENNEDY 
One size does NOT fit all ... and don't throw the baby out with the bathwater as a result of knowing a little ... 

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good [people] to do nothing. (based on writing by) EDMUND BURKE

Your children are not your children. ... They come through you but ... they belong not to you ... for their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow KAHLIL GIBRAN

We didn't inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we only borrowed it from our children ANTOINE DE SAINT-EXUPÉRY

 Like an unchecked cancer, hate corrodes the personality and eats away its vital unity. MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR.

Those whom we cannot stand are usually those who we cannot understand P.K.SHAW

Tags:about me, attitudes, children, family, growth, maturity, paganism, personal responsibility, rituals, Saxon, society,

First published: Wodansdagr, 26th December, 2012

Last edited: Wednesday, 26th December, 2012