Saturday 9 February 2013

Post No. 435 - Weed control, and other weeds

So, moving on from my last post about astral weed control (in a sense!) to physical weed control - specifically, the ones that grow up through cracks in concrete that landlords seem to get all tetchy about :)

Once upon a time, I used to control those with sprays (and before that I used to pull them out physically, but I'm getting a bit old and, more significantly, I am too far out of condition, to do that now - although pulling them and their roots out is still what I do with weeds in nature strips, for instance), but there are too many pets and birds wandering around for me to be entirely comfortable with that, even though I've seen test results showing caffeine is apparently worse for warm blooded critters than the sprays I used to use. So ... I've been trying salt.

Just ordinary, everyday, "garden variety" (pardon the pun) table salt: put it in a container for ease of spreading, and then pour a big dob of it on the weed you want to control. It takes a lot longer - maybe even more than a month, as opposed to a week - and there is less die back, but I feel more comfortable about the level of environmental impact I'm having - partly because salt is generally a naturally harvested product (not always, though!). Next spring, in six months time, I'm going to get in early and pour salt in the cracks (they're actually joints in some cases, but most have been put in for crack control, ironically) BEFORE anything starts growing.

It's just one way to walk a little lighter on this planet: I'd prefer to not have to do this because the outside was set up properly in the first place, but we're renting, and, sadly, probably aren't likely to ever do anything else, so I'l just have to hope that owners start to get sensible with places they build to rent out ...

And moving on to other potential weeds and ways to control them, please consider the following - one of which is far worse than just being a "weed", and is responsible for most of the tags applied to this post:

[1] BPF = Balanced Positive (spiritual) Forces. See here and here for more on this.

[2] Please see my post "The Death of Wikipedia" for the reasons I now recommend caution when using Wikipedia. 

Love, light, hugs and blessings


Gnwmythr
(pronounced "new-MYTH-ear")
My "blogiography" is here. I started this blog to cover karmic regression-rescue (see here and here), and it grew ...
May the world of commerce and business be recognised to be a servant, not a master, of the lives of people.
A home is for living in, not feeling, becoming or being rich or a “better” class than others.
The International Labour Organisation's definition of "full employment" is wrong, useless and misleading.
Armageddon is alive and well and happening right now: it is a battle between the indolence of "I only ..." and/or "I just ..." on one side, and perspicacity on the other.
Like fire to the physical, emotions to the soul make a good servant, and a bad master. Spiritual love is far more than just an emotion - it is a concept, thoughts, actions and a way of living.
The only prejudice should be against prejudice. 
"Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger [people]." JOHN F. KENNEDY 
One size does NOT fit all ... and don't throw the baby out with the bathwater as a result of knowing a little ... 

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good [people] to do nothing. (based on writing by) EDMUND BURKE

Your children are not your children. ... They come through you but ... they belong not to you ... for their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow KAHLIL GIBRAN

We didn't inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we only borrowed it from our children ANTOINE DE SAINT-EXUPÉRY

Like an unchecked cancer, hate corrodes the personality and eats away its vital unity. MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR.

Those whom we cannot stand are usually those who we cannot understand P.K.SHAW

Tags: activism, discrimination, environment, prejudice,

First published: Laugardagr, 9th February, 2013

Last edited: Saturday 9th February, 2013