Sunday 1 February 2015

Post No. 650 - Blessed Lugnasadh / Lammas - and miscellaneous

On this start of the Harvest (in temperate zone agricultural societies), may you have a Blessed Lammas.

I'm a bit late getting that out, but made it on the day - and it has been a lovely, if unseasonal day, overcast, raining at times (but not during Pride March, which was convenient for those marching - including my partner and her other partner * ), and cool - more like winter than late summer. (And some lovely bird calls - magpies, some parrots - although not as many as we would have had if our fig tree hadn't been cut down last year ... and a few other regular visitors, a black bird couple in particular.)

Normally, I plant some corn (half a dozen plants or so) and would be harvesting a second set of corn around now, but I didn't plant anything this year. However, one garden bed that I once planted potatoes in has sprung up with another, unbidden crop - and the plants look quite promising, so we may yet harvest something.

In the Kulin people's seasons, we are in Biderap - dry season. The Museum of Victoria website I have linked to includes the following:
Each season is marked by the movement of the stars in the night sky and changes in the weather, coinciding with the life cycles of plants and animals. Overlaid on the seven seasons are two other non-annual seasons - Flood season which is likely to occur on average about every 28 years, and Fire season which occurs on average about every seven years.
I'm not sure what the plant foods would be during the season, but there would still have been plenty of animals to hunt. In fact, the indigenous people of Australia generally had plenty of good food: I've heard someone describe the experience of the indigenous people watching those on the Burke and Wills expedition starve to death (food was given to them, by the way) as being a bit like westerners watching people starve to death in the aisles of a shopping centre.

And now, time for me to start thinking of hunting some food for tea in our fridge ... :)

 * This is good: I can have a lazy day at home and still have a connection to events I care about :) (which would not happen without my partner's other partner). Photo of my partner and her other partner below.


[1] BPLF = Balanced Positive (spiritual) Light Forces. See here and here for more on this.

[2] Please see here and my post "The Death of Wikipedia" for the reasons I now recommend caution when using Wikipedia. I'm also exploring use of h2g2, although that doesn't appear to be as extensive (h2g2 is intended - rather engagingly - to be the Earth edition of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy").
Love, light, hugs and blessings



Gnwmythr, Wéofodthegn  
(pronounced "new-MYTH-ear"; ... aka Bellatrix Lux … aka Morinehtar … would-be drýicgan or maga ... )
My "blogiography" (list of all posts and guide as to how to best use this site) is here, and my glossary/index is here.
I started this blog to cover karmic regression-rescue (see here and here), and it grew ... See here for my group mind project, here and here for my "Pagans for Peace" project (and join me at 9 PM on Sunday, wherever you are, to meditate for peace), and here for my bindrune kit-bag. I also strongly recommend learning how to flame, ground and shield, do alternate nostril breathing, work with colour, and see also here and be flexible.