Sunday 24 February 2008

Post No. 037 - Past writings: The Syncretic Pagan

I have quite a few of my past writings (including automatic writing) that I want to review, as I think it could be useful for others to see how someone else has changed as they evolve. I've done one, which is at http://gnwmythr.blogspot.com/2007/08/colour-healing-example-of-my-early.html.

I also want to write a review of Richard Rudgely's "Pagan Resurrection" (pub. Century, 2006, ISBN 0 7126 8096 9 and 97870712680967 -I don't know why there are two ISBNs), which is - to simplify - about the rebirth of Odin as a viable, active influence. I like the book, in part, because it doesn't gloss over past "evils", such as the twisted use of psychic material by the the extreme right wing party of 1930s and 40s Germany * (who have, unfortunately, rendered an originally Hindu symbol useless, even though they used a "crooked", or tilted, version of that [see here]), and because it also talks about the "flaws" of Odin's influence (being the potential for mental problems).

For today, however, I just want to review a past article I wrote for the Witches Voice website, called "The Syncretic Pagan", which I wrote during my early explorations of paganism in response to an invitation from Witchvox for articles on syncretism in paganism. I was pleasantly surprised when the article was published, and the link to it is http://www.witchvox.com/va/dt_va.html?a=&c=words&id=8185.

I won't republish the article here, out of respect for the Witches Voice website. 
PS (2023) - now that Witchvox has collapsed, the article is not available at that link. I'll see if I have or can get a copy to re-post here.

In the article, I haven't directly answered the question which was posed by the Witches Voice (i.e., should paganism be syncretic). I've taken a broader perspective, and asked should the broader world be syncretic (inclusive) of paganism. Then I've moved to the topic of being open to growth, and the difference between individuals being syncretic, and pathways being syncretic.

Overall, I'm quite happy with the article, and it is one of the few pieces of my past writing that I wouldn't change - even though I have more experience (particularly formal experience) of paganism now.

Love, light, hugs and blessings
Gnwmythr
This post's photo is from One Tree Hill, in the Dandenong Ranges - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dandenong_Ranges_National_Park
 
* name removed as term is now (2023) subject of grave concerns and sensitivity  

Tags: about me, change, communication, syncretism

First published: Sunday 24th February, 2008
Last edited: Sunday 24th February, 2008 


 


 

No comments: