Sunday 9 September 2012

Post No. 401 - Selfishness and superficiality

I'll warn all you, Dear Readers, that my crankiness setting is up high in this post - sorry ... I think :)

The thing that has struck me about the "spirituality" movement in Western nations [1] is the - to me - appalling level of self interest in it. The focus seems to be on "how can I be more ... < insert definition of "spiritual" > ?" At the workshops I attend and run, too often people are there solely for self improvement (or self enhancement, as the term was delightfully  translated in a bookshop in Hong Kong airport when I was recently there), and there is no conception that personal growth, while essential, comes with an automatic responsibility: when you gain a piece of knowledge, you either use it, or start going backwards karmically as if you had chosen to let someone who was struggling in water drown, when you had just been given a boat and lessons of how to safely use it in those waters.[3]

One of the major problems in this world is the high levels of self interest - people are prepared to care for family members, for instance, but not strangers ... or try getting the bulk of people in developed nations to care about what happens to people in underdeveloped nations ... or try getting someone who has learned about creative visualisation [1] in a spiritual context to apply that towards making the world a more spiritual place, rather than seeking love or some other personal benefit. (Yes, I'm aware of the exceptions to this, but I'm not supposed to acknowledge those while I'm being cranky :) )

Many years ago, one of the reasons I left Buddhism was because of Westerners who were very focused on details such as naming traditions, but who freely admitted they had not bothered to use Buddhism to make themselves better people: they did not see this as something which should guide how they lived their everyday life, and that put them in exactly the same category as the so-called "Sunday Christians" [1] who were a major part of me leaving Christianity as a child. (What exactly draws such people to Buddhism, then? Is it the desire to do a set of head exercises? The desire to be fashionable or to be awkward/a chosen member of a minority? [2] Don't discount the latter motivation, it has - sadly - cropped up for some lesbians I know ... )

The same criticisms apply to paganism, although at least there do tend to be more people in paganism who are environmentally aware and/or active. I recall when I was new in Wicca, around the mid 2000s, the first debate I came across on this topic, and how one of my friends then responded to that by organising a fund-raiser every Ostara. It was a wonderful move, but it was sad that it was so notable for its rarity.

In a few years, I may have a place where I can get a group going again, and I am going to advertise it as being solely for people who want to work, not improve themselves, or their skills, etc.

[1] Please see my post "The Death of Wikipedia" for the reasons I now recommend caution when using Wikipedia.
[2] One of the people whop had a major influence on me and my Buddhist practice back when I was Buddhist, was a colleague from Thailand who had spent 6 months as a Buddhist monk. When we were discussing vegetarianism, which I had adopted at that time, his view was that it was wrong to impose vegetarianism on someone that one was visit - in other words, you shouldn't expect your host to unreasonably put themselves out to try and cater for you, and you should simply eat a little meat to avoid "rocking the boat" too much. I think his views are arguable - and politely didn't quite agree at the time, but it is a view that should at least be considered: are you adhering to something out of "orneriness"? 
[3] That doesn't mean you have to RUSH into using the skills - you're allowed to think about it, and plan, and consult with others on how you should go about this, just as long as you recgonise that, ultimately, all knmowledge comes at a price - generally, the price including the responsibility to ultimately USE that knowledge. 

Love, light, hugs and blessings


Gnwmythr
(pronounced "new-MYTH-ear")
My "blogiography" is here.
May the world of commerce and business be recognised to be a servant, not a master, of the lives of people.
A home is for living in, not feeling, becoming or being rich or a “better” class than others.
The International Labour Organisation's definition of "full employment" is wrong, useless and misleading.
Armageddon is alive and well and happening right now: it is a battle between the indolence of "I only ..." and/or "I just ..." on one side, and perspicacity on the other.
Like fire to the physical, emotions to the soul make a good servant, and a bad master.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good [people] to do nothing. EDMUND BURKE

Your children are not your children. ... They come through you but ... they belong not to you ... for their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow KAHLIL GIBRAN

We didn't inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we only borrowed it from our children ANTOINE DE SAINT-EXUPÉRY

 Like an unchecked cancer, hate corrodes the personality and eats away its vital unity. MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR.

Those whom we cannot stand are usually those who we cannot understand P.K.SHAW

Tags: aabout me, attitudes, personal responsibility, selfishness, society,

First published: Sunnudagr, 9th September, 2012

Last edited: Sunday, 9th September, 2012