Sunday 21 January 2018

Post No. 1,121 - Random Reflections

Well, after heatwaves and illness, I'm starting to recover a little (aided by the promise of more people at work), so I thought I'd post a few short random thoughts.

First off, I posted a reaction to Australia's neoliberal Prime Minister resorting to playing the race card at my political blog - see here. I'm more than disappointed: I'm appalled at such cheap politics from someone who has made noises about wanting an Australia that is better with regard to racism indulges in racism - and verges, in my opinion, so close to misleading that I've toyed with calling him Trump-bull.

It seems to me that the PM is pretty much at the beck and call of the right wing ultra-conservatives in his party.

Now, there is a valid need for conservatism - it aims to help people keep what is good, and thus avoid the errors of change for change's sake, and "throwing the baby out with the bathwater". But the conservatives in Australia's neoliberal party - and the ones formerly there - go beyond this, and actively promote hate, bigotry and fear.

The adoption by the thoroughly evil John Howard of the xenophobic refugee policies of a far right extremist party and his anti-LGBT stances are examples of conservatism charging into cowardly reactionary-ism. (He did a couple of good things, too, such as the ban on some guns and East Timor.)

In all of these cases, I have to wonder how these people wound up so fearful and hateful - which leads into consideration of nature vs. nurture, and discussions about the influence of parents, teachers and peers (I'll leave reincarnation issues aside for the moment). I consider it likely that peers have the greatest influence, but I also am of the view that there is a case, when a child grows up like the politicians I've mentioned above, or Tony Abbott, Eric Abetz, Cory Bernardi, or George Christensen, to challenge the parents and teachers as to whether or not they did a good job. If the parents have passed on such hate and fear, they are guilty of a spiritual failure - we don't just want to pass on a better world to our children, we should also want our children to be better people than we are.

(Incidentally, some people like Bob Katter are fairly clearly limited in their life experience - I consider them more stupid than malicious.)

So ... what do we do?

Well, I would suggest:
  • continue trying to steer public debate towards better quality consideration of the issues; 
  • acknowledge that not all parents are good (apart from the issues of active abuse, some are overwhelmed by the struggle to survive), and thus start a debate over both making parents lives easier (which means higher wages and job security) and ways to help parents; 
  • acknowledge that teachers should also accept responsibility for the influence that they do have on the character of students.
Two centuries ago, things like slavery and racism were acceptable in many parts of the world: they're not, now, and, just as we address public health problems like drink driving (I can write that because I'm not in the USA - thank the Goddess), we should see the public health aspects of bigotry and racism, and be mature enough to deal with that - including governments standing up to flawed parents.

(Incidentally, the spur to complete this article was partly an episode in the TV series "The West Wing",  which I am re-watching, where a conservative character tries to claim parents best know what school text books are needed for kids: apart from that enabling the infection of children with their parents' hates and fears, with the rate of change of the world, there is absolutely no way known that a parent, who was educated possibly 20 or more years ago, could know what text books are best.)

On a few other matters:
  • I enjoyed the film "The Post" - in particular, the development of the lead female character (I'll do a review in due course)
  • I have downloaded the now declassified "Pentagon Papers", and am reading them (40 pages in, around 6,960 to go :) ) - it's quite an interesting read, particularly from an historical point of view (I'm also reading Australia's foreign policy white paper, and am less impressed)
  • my interview series is underway, but will take a little longer than I planned (owing to life :) ); 
  • I also have a few other posts underway, such as some thoughts triggered by re-reading Louis Fischer's biography of MK Gandhi (someone else who grew and evolved through life).
I'll leave this at that, for now.

I apologise for publishing these posts twice, but Blogger keeps changing my formatting. I can either publish it and then correct it, or save and close the post and correct it when I reopen it, but that leaves an extra copy in my "drafts" folder ...

Love, light, hugs and blessings
Gnwmythr
(pronounced "new-MYTH-ear") 
Pagan Energy Worker, Wéofodthegn, Bellatrix Lux, Venatrix Maga, would-be Drýicgan
I am revamping my former website, and getting at least one other underway.
My "blogiography" (list of all posts and guide as to how to best use this site) is here, and my glossary/index is here
There is also a Yahoo group at https://au.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/gnwmythr-discussion/info.

I started this blog to cover karmic regression-rescue (see here and here), and it grew ... See here for my group mind project, here and here for my "Pagans for Peace" project (and join me for a few minutes at some time between 8 and 11 PM on Sunday, wherever you are, to meditate-clear for peace), and here for my bindrune kit-bag. I also strongly recommend learning how to flame, ground and shield, do alternate nostril breathing, work with colour, and see also here and be flexible. 
May the best in me, my Higher Self,
and those of the Clear Light who assist me,
help me to keep myself grounded, centred and shielded,
to be Balanced and a Fulcrum of Balance,
a centre of Balanced Positivity and Spiritual Maturity,
with my aura continuously cleansed, cleared and closed,
repelling all negative or unwanted energies,
whilst allowing positive, balancing and healing energies in and through.
The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral. Returning violence with violence only multiplies violence, add deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars.
Dr Martin Luther King, Jr.
The real dividing line is not between Christianity and Islam, Sunni and Shia, East and West. It is between people who believe in coexistence, and those who don’t.
Tom Fletcher, Former UK Ambassador to Lebanon