Saturday 17 October 2009

Post No. 071 - Disenchantment and labels

I've posted a few times about labels, and about the various changes of spiritual
path/identification that I have made in the journey I am on in this lifetime. Well, I'm about to do more of the same :)

In a nutshell, I've been thinking about what labels feel satisfying to me in terms of my path:
labels that are useful in terms of communicating my beliefs to others (which rules out
almost everything except a multiple paragraph list ...), and that I feel proud to use. The
stimulus to change identifications in the past has been, to some extent, because I was no
longer "proud" (pleased, "OK with" may be better phrases: they just don't roll off the
keyboard as nicely :D ) to identify as, for example ... oh, say ... Christian (because of the
Sunday Christians - people who went to church on Sunday and stabbed you in the back on
Monday: but I tend to think of them as mostly being neo-Christians now anyway).

Well I've realised what my main discomfort with the term "Wiccan" is: people whose sole
or main focus is celebrating Esbats and Sabbats, and do not think to apply their skills
(whether those skills are rituals or magic or both or other) to trying to make this world a
better place. We've recently had some major earthquakes and some tsunamis: how many
Wiccans did a ritual for the survivors, let alone a ritual for the planet herself?

Some will have - I'm lucky to know such Wiccans, both here in Australia and overseas,
who would in fact have done exactly that. Unfortunately, I know others who wouldn't have
thought to.

That lack of awareness and lack of caring was made very apparent to me during the tragic
bushfires earlier this year here in Victoria. I was moved to go and start performing rituals, while some others I happened to contact at those times were barely paying attention. (That certainly cannot be said to apply to all the Wiccan and pagan communities: others organised public rituals, relief fund raisers, etc.) It is, however, on reflecting on the reactions of people now, as the bushfire Royal Commission progresses its work, that has led me to decide I will no longer identify as Wiccan.

Love, light, hugs and blessings

Gnwmythr

This post's photo is yet to be posted

Tags: attitudes, change, commitment, daily life, energy work, evil, healing, judging others, love, morality, personal characteristics, personal responsibility, responsibility, respect, self knowledge,

First published: Satuerday 17th October, 2009

Last edited: Saturday 17th October, 2009