Thursday 5 August 2010

Post No. 140 - Rapping (not the music)

A few nights ago, my partner had gone outside for a last smoke (she uses clove cigarettes for pain management - they're better than any arthritis drug or pain relief she's used) late at night, after I'd gone to bed. Nothing too unusual about that, except she fell asleep out there (AFTER the smoke). Now, our winter's don't involve snow here (although we do get snow in the hills and mountains), but they're still pretty chilly, and it's not too good to have to sleep out there (hence the annual fundraiser for homeless called "Winter Sleepout"). In short, I'm asleep inside, my partner is asleep outside and at some risk.

Solution? Guides - or spirits - create a rhythmic tapping sound which wakes me, I then notice "no partner" despite it being late, go outside and wake her before any harm is done.

Nice little story, and has the advantage of giving me a chance to let people know that "spirit rappings", beginning with the controversial Fox sisters, were one of the early features of the spiritism movement which led to spiritualism, Spiritualist Churches, Theosophy, Christian Science, etc - and, ultimately, contributed to the New Age movement.

The phenomenon itself is probably part of what is generally termed "physical mediumship", along with psychokinesis, direct voice, materialisation, levitation (as allegedly demonstrated by D. D. Home, for instance), etc. Other such manifestations I've encountered are lights and TVs themselves on or off (although that can possibly be explained by electrical effects) and balls of light.

All very interesting. More importantly, my partner is well :)

Love, light, hugs and blessings

Gnwmythr

This post's photo is yet to be posted.

Tags: about me, activism, homelessness, phenomena, rapping, mediumship, spiritualism, theosophy, New Age, history,

First published: Thursday 5th August, 2010

Last edited: Thursday 5th August, 2010