Friday 20 August 2010

Post No. 147 - A book of mixed "blessings": Baldwin's "Spirit Releasement Therapy"

I referred recently to the book "Spirit Releasement Therapy", by William Baldwin. Well, I have tracked down and obtained a copy, and my first scan of it is extremely disappointing.

The practical ideas on spirit rescue and past life regression seem OK, but the book claims to have "cured" two people of being (M2F) transsexual by rescuing female spirits from these people.

That may have happened (I think, incidentally, that there is good reason for thorough psychological evaluation prior to surgery, although current assessments should be improved, and the view of gender diversity needs to be broadened), but ALL first responses to any divergence from normal along the lines of "I can 'cure' that" are, in my experience, basically bigotry and prejudice (see here for a better view on trans matters, here for a better view on same sex attraction, and here for a better view on bisexuality). They remind me of the story about a famous psychologist (Freud) who was asked by a woman if he could cure her son's homosexuality: the reply was along the lines of "Madam, there is nothing to cure."

Transsexualism (and being transgender or bigender) is NOT a disease that needs a cure! To imply that it is, as Baldwin does, is irresponsible and unprofessional in the extreme.

Goddess how many people have I LITERALLY buried because of idiotic implications like that ... !

The attitude brings to mind another book I read years ago which claimed a similar "cure" for being gay or lesbian. I can't even recall the title of it now - needless to say, I stopped recommending it very quickly!

I wonder how those idiots feel as evidence of physical causation starts to be found (see here and here, for instance)?

I'm wary of finding physical causation for sex and gender diversity: it raises the possibility of bigots having abortions because they don't want to have an LGBTIQ kid. The problem is not natural, normal diversity (now acknowledged to happen in other animals): it is the attitude of stamping on divergence.

So ... Dr Baldwin is not off to a good start with me. I'll see how his book holds up when read more thoroughly.

Oh, by the way: I've decided to try writing my reviews of books in chunks: I still have several book reviews that I haven't completed yet because I am trying to assemble all my notes and review the whole thing. Doesn't work with my busy lifestyle ...

Love, light, hugs and blessings

Gnwmythr

This post's photo is yet to be posted.

Tags: rescue, past life regression, hypnosis, discrimination, transgender/transsexual/bigender, lesbian/bisexual/gay, psychology, death, demons, gender,

First published: Friday 20th August, 2010

Last edited: Friday 20th August, 2010