Monday 17 May 2010

Post No. 113 - Changes

I have writen a critique of some of my early work to help show that people can and do change. This topic is something I have been thinking more about of late, as I re-read some books which made such a big impact on me years ago: Lobsang Rampa's discriminatory (in my opinion) approach towards women was always apparent, but his problematic approach to same sex attraction was not obvious to me now that I have realised I am SSA, it is :) ). Also, some aspects of "Briefing for the Landing on Planet Earth" (which I am currently writing a review of) are more problematic to me than they were years ago.

I think our needs are a bit like onions: we have one layer of need which is met, say, by a book, then further layers of need are met by other books and, when we go back and reread the earlier book we have a different perspective. This is probably a bit like Maslow's Heirarchy of Needs, but I am looking at one "level" in more detail.

Maybe another way of viewing this is that as we evolve, our views change: I am, for instance, infinitely glad that I no longer hold the viewpoints when I was a child, or even many of views when I was a teenager (some views then were OK :) ).

This has also been stimulated by some of the debate about the films "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves", and the current version. At the time, I quite liked the earlier film (due in no small part to the humour around the way that Alan Rickman played the Sheriff of Notthingham): having recently rewatched it, I am thinking differently ...

(I have, by the way, no desire to see the current version, as it plays with history that I lived through [in a previous life, obviously] too much - for me. Go and see the film if you wish to, or are curious about it :) )

Love, light, hugs and blessings

Gnwmythr

Tags: about me, change, cross-fertilisation (ideas), persistence, personal characteristics, perspective, philosophy, evolution, life lessons, learning from mistakes, Stuart Holroyd, Maslow, hierarchy of needs,

First published: Monday 17th May, 2010

Last edited: Monday 17th May, 2010