Tuesday 15 November 2016

Post No. 950 - Interfaith biases

Last weekend I attended the 2016 Victorian Interfaith Networks Conference, hosted by my local Council and organised by the Faith Communities Council of Victoria. Overall, it was pretty good - I enjoyed being one of the many women who got to wear a turban (I thought that was only for men: maybe there was some "leniency" for the event :) ), and the panel for the workshop I went to was reasonably diverse (a Buddhist Nun, Sikh male, a Muslim woman, Jewish male, Hare Krishna male, Baha'i woman, and a Christian woman), but the facilitator was a little off target, I thought, at times, and it suffered from a lack of time.

The really big problem, however, was the lack of any proper consideration of Pagan perspectives. The panel were mostly uniting behind a shared view of one Deity (the Buddhist Nun pointed out - correctly - that Buddhism has no view on the existence or nature of Deity; incidentally, the displays of various faiths included "progressive atheists", which I thought was quite good), whereas there are many Pagans who are polytheist, and thus do not share that basic premise. Hence, everything that came from that discussion was of limited value. I stuck my hand up innumerable times, and was ignored throughout the session - which probably has nothing to do with Paganism, and more to do with the facilitator's discomfort with trans/gender diverse people. (Other people were so inclusive, however, I talked about the Victorian Queer Spirituality Conference 2005, and how there had been several plans to hold a follow up event, but nothing yet.)

Nevertheless, if the interfaith movement in my community is to progress, it needs to follow the lead of the Parliament of the World's Religions, and start getting Pagans involved - otherwise it is going to get left behind by one of the world's fastest growing religions.

I wrote "one of" because probably THE fastest growing movement is the "spiritual but not religious" movement.

Anyway, flawed though it was, it was good to see and be part of: may there be more of it.

I apologise for publishing these posts twice, but Blogger keeps changing my formatting. I can either publish it and then correct it, or save and close the post and correct it when I reopen it, but that leaves an extra copy in my "drafts" folder ...

Love, light, hugs and blessings
I am revamping my former website, and getting at least one other underway (pronounced "new-MYTH-ear"; ... aka Bellatrix Lux … aka Morinehtar … would-be drýicgan or maga ... )
My "blogiography" (list of all posts and guide as to how to best use this site) is here, and my glossary/index is here. The reasons for my caution when using Wikipedia are here.

I started this blog to cover karmic regression-rescue (see here and here), and it grew ... See here for my group mind project, here and here for my "Pagans for Peace" project (and join me for a few minutes at some time between 8 and 11 PM on Sunday, wherever you are, to meditate-clear for peace), and here for my bindrune kit-bag. I also strongly recommend learning how to flame, ground and shield, do alternate nostril breathing, work with colour, and see also here and be flexible. 
May the best in me, my Higher Self,
and those of the Clear Light who assist me,
help me to keep myself grounded, centred and shielded,
to be Balanced and a Fulcrum of Balance,
a centre of Balanced Positivity and Spiritual Maturity,
with my aura continuously cleansed, cleared and closed,
repelling all negative or unwanted energies,
whilst allowing positive, balancing and healing energies in and through.
The real dividing line is not between Christianity and Islam, Sunni and Shia, East and West. It is between people who believe in coexistence, and those who don’t.
Tom Fletcher, Former UK Ambassador to Lebanon
  • All of the above - and this blog - could be wrong, or subject to context, perspective, or state of spiritual evolution ...
Tags: attitudes, discrimination, interfaith, Paganism, Parliament of World Religions, paths, religion, society, 
First published: Tysdagr, 15th November, 2016
Last edited (excluding fixing typo's, Blogger's change of my formatting and other minor matters): Tuesday, 15th November, 2016