Sunday 21 May 2017

Post No. 1,030 - Not the Weekly News



In yesterday’s Gnwmythr’s News I included the following:
an excellent radio programme on not getting sucked in by “self help” materials (comments along the lines of it being more important to be a decent person, with hints at virtue philosophy) – and the book is available here.
(The book’s details are “Stand Firm: Resisting the Self-Improvement Craze”, by Svend  Brinkmann, Professor of Psychology, Department of Communication and Psychology, Aalborg University, Denmark; pub. Polity, 2017, ISBN 978-1509514267. )
I consider one of the main problems in this world in the addiction to emotions. Now, emotions have a valid and important purpose, but conflating us with our emotions is as mistaken as conflating us with our thoughts alone or us with our physical existence only. From my quotations and sayings page:
   Like fire to the physical, emotions to the soul make a good servant, and a bad master.
Emotions are most fully realised on the astral (which has two levels – lower, connected to the solar plexus  chakra, and upper, connected to the heart  chakra), but there are other levels of reality (or, if you came from the other side of the tracks, maybe you prefer the equally but not more valid term planes of existence) which focus on other equally valid aspects of reality – e.g., mental planes, where key ideas and principles such as love, freedom, growth, etc are focused on in their purest, raw essence.
That is what we are questing for, in many cases, as we explore emotions and how they affect us, and how to constructively manifest and use emotions (that all means that Emotional Intelligence is absolutely crucial … but so too is Spiritual Intelligence, which is close to what I mean by BPM).
And, in that context, the book and interview I linked to yesterday were like a breath of fresh air (albeit fresh air also associated with some of Brendan  Myers’ work – the stuff on virtue ethics).
It can be more important to be a decent human being than to be a happy human being (paraphrasing slightly).
Yes – absolutely!
And, on that, lately it has got up my nose when people get involved in activism superficially out of a sense of outrage, but in reality because they want to have a sense of connection or to get warm fuzzies. That leads to harmful mistakes, inappropriate reactions to valid criticisms, and generally stops the real changes that need to be made being properly and effectively addressed.
If you’re not involved in these things for the right reasons – i.e., the ideas and principles – get out of the way before you do real damage.
And on such things, I recently caught up with a friend of mine, J. J’s a very experienced political woman, having stood as a candidate at all three levels of government in Australia and having given the lobby (sorry: community activist group – I loathe the loss of the term lobby to commercial influencers) I was involved with the late 1990s invaluable advice, and I had – some time ago – arranged to catch up when I was thinking about standing as an independent candidate for the upper house in my state next year. We’re both busy, and work had intruded on the previous time we thought we’d be able to catch up, so it had been a while, and in the interim, I had decided that I couldn’t, despite it having been on a bucket list of mine, in good faith nominate.
The key reasons for that were, incidentally, that: (1) the company I work for does a fair bit of work for government-connected bodies (water Authorities), so I would have to take extended leave for the election campaign, and cannot financially afford to do that; (2) if I did get elected, despite my chances of being elected being more remote than the Kuiper Belt, I (a) have concerns that my help would not hold up, and (b) I would have to put my psychic and spiritual work on hold because of the demands on elected representatives (80 hour weeks are common); and (3) my families have no real idea what would hit them (and my previous relationship would be an electoral liability).
So, that dream is shot – for this lifetime, at any rate.
Nevertheless, J and I had a good chat, about politics and other matters. J had been giving a few advice about standing for election, as it turns out, and maybe she should set herself up doing that as a business :) We also chatted about work, and J commented that, in the last few years, everyone she knows is feeling stressed about work, which wasn’t the case when she was younger.
That is also my experience, and I made a comment at the time about the effect of the GFC, but, now, thinking about the matter, I have remembered that it goes back further – to the proto-neoliberals called “economic rationalists”. Of course, they, to some extent, arose because of a combination of abuses of power by parts of the union movement (e.g., the BLF [which also did a lot of good], the rampant misogyny towards women of parts of the CFMEU and the rabid homophobia of the Shop, Distributive and Allied Employees Association, all of which has done ENORMOUS damage to the union movement – and thus workers’ - and other - human rights), the general decline of awareness of “soft” social issues since the end of the Victorian era, and the rise of business propaganda (aka “marketing”) and the massive increase in consumerism that has happened since the early 1900s.
In any case, what it all boils down to is that, socially, as well as economically and environmentally, we are in trouble.
I’ve heard a few politicians in radio interviews talking about this of late, which is good, but we aren’t doing enough. What I consider needs to happen is a sequence of meetings, which can perhaps broadly be conceived as something along the lines of what led to the Hawke  Government’s  Prices and Income Accord:
 - meetings between all relevant parties, initially in each State, and then leading up to a National conference;
 - “relevant parties” includes workers (both union and not), unpaid workers such as homekeepers, big and small business groups, consumers, health services, education, academics, relevant commentators (if I could, I would include a few philosophers), etc;
 - considered discussions are held beforehand via email, etc, with time enforced for thinking and, if necessary, researching before replying;
 - at the conferences, the same avoidance of time limits and focus on thinking, knowledge and knowledge gaps, etc to be maintained;
 - aspects to be covered include the imminent crisis owing to automation etc, needs to enable all people to adapt, support services required for all people (at present, thinking usually cuts out for older people), social impacts equally as much as how to finance, and so on.
In referring to needs, one of the things I have in mind is that if more business people had better emotional intelligence and treated their workers as human beings instead of economic units, they would probably be able to get the flexibility they want with far less social disruption and personal damage to their workers: businesses are not the army – giving orders is NOT the best way!
(Another issue here is cycles in the business world: I’ve now seen several new, young leaders come in enthusiastically promoting the simplistic ideas of their progenitors as they had come up with it themselves – and that, in addition to the obvious refusal to learn from history, also shows a failure of business schools to admit that there are greater forces in the economy that they cannot control. This failing also includes pressure to cut out procedures and simplify ways of working, which then lead to problems that the previous generation fixed by the procedures etc that had just been cut out or cut back, and these are then excitedly reinstituted under a new name as if they are new. I had a great talk with a colleague this week who had attended an excellent lecture on this in the bridge engineering sector.)
This idea – future proofing work - was one of my main motivations for considering being elected: I’ll now have to find another way to get it to happen :)

I apologise for publishing these posts twice, but Blogger keeps changing my formatting. I can either publish it and then correct it, or save and close the post and correct it when I reopen it, but that leaves an extra copy in my "drafts" folder ...

Love, light, hugs and blessings
Gnwmythr
(pronounced "new-MYTH-ear") 
Pagan Energy Worker, Wéofodthegn, Bellatrix Lux, Venatrix Maga, would-be Drýicgan
I am revamping my former website, and getting at least one other underway.
My "blogiography" (list of all posts and guide as to how to best use this site) is here, and my glossary/index is here.

I started this blog to cover karmic regression-rescue (see here and here), and it grew ... See here for my group mind project, here and here for my "Pagans for Peace" project (and join me for a few minutes at some time between 8 and 11 PM on Sunday, wherever you are, to meditate-clear for peace), and here for my bindrune kit-bag. I also strongly recommend learning how to flame, ground and shield, do alternate nostril breathing, work with colour, and see also here and be flexible. 
May the best in me, my Higher Self,
and those of the Clear Light who assist me,
help me to keep myself grounded, centred and shielded,
to be Balanced and a Fulcrum of Balance,
a centre of Balanced Positivity and Spiritual Maturity,
with my aura continuously cleansed, cleared and closed,
repelling all negative or unwanted energies,
whilst allowing positive, balancing and healing energies in and through.
The real dividing line is not between Christianity and Islam, Sunni and Shia, East and West. It is between people who believe in coexistence, and those who don’t.
Tom Fletcher, Former UK Ambassador to Lebanon
  • All of the above - and this blog - could be wrong, or subject to context, perspective, or state of spiritual evolution ...
Tags:  about me, discrimination, economy, education, emotional intelligence (EQ), emotions, future, history, human rights, personal responsibility, politics, sexism, society, spiritual intelligence, work,
First published: Sunnudagr, 21st May, 2017
Last edited (excluding fixing typo's, Blogger's change of my formatting and other minor matters): Sunday, 21st May, 2017