Wednesday 13 June 2007

Post No. 005 - Living Future Dreams Now


I quite like rainbows: They feel like a special, much blessed omen when I see them, and I’ve been fortunate enough to see some quite spectacular ones. I’ve seen a complete circle rainbow, and even two circle rainbows - one inside the other (although they weren’t quite complete). I’m writing this quite some distance away from home, being away on a work trip. However, as I drove here, thinking on many things – including this blog, I saw several rainbows. I even glimpsed rainbows while at one of the work sites I had travelled to – and the countryside was something to behold. I’m in the western district of Victoria, after some good soaking rain, and have been marvelling at green rolling hills and deep valleys.

It looks like good country: the sort of country I’d like to have a home in, someplace high on a hill, where I could watch the weather coming across a plain or up a valley. I’ve come across other places like this – in fact, my partner and I try to spend one weekend a month going some place new, partly to see more of the world, partly for relaxation, and in part to keep an eye out for some place to live if we ever buy some land - neither of us wants to live the rest of our days in suburbia. (I had thought this little town might be one place on the list, but I’ve encountered some small mindedness from the publican of the place I’m staying at today which has led to me changing my mind - for now, at any rate: others in this town I've worked with or had other contact with have been OK, so I may put it back on the list down the track [albeit not where I stayed: that was so unpleasant that when I saw my toothbrush had been moved, I threw it out in case it had been used for something it shouldn't have been!].)

It’s quite an elaborate dream we have: so many acres, a dome house built into the earth, with rooms with no corners (all conceived well before Lord of the Rings – knowing we shared similar dreams for a house was one of the attractions in the early days of our relationship). I’ve even planned the solar heating and ground cooling, and roughed out the engineering.

I’ve also planned a labyrinth and tree/grove project (this is my project: my partner doesn’t share this dream ☺ ). I’d like to have a series of trees planted in a large circle, grafted together, and shaped to grow into a house. I can see tree branches providing seats, doors, windows and interlacing into a roof - albeit with a large “skylight” in the centre to create an open area for rituals. Maybe I’ll have some arches, or pillars, or a tall, stately tree (perhaps the Australian energy equivalent of a yew) in it.

Around the outside of this, I want to create a labyrinth – marked out at first by stone arches and low stone walls, and later, as they grow, by the living vitality of plants. I’ve even planned out little “energy units” of copper and crystals to go under each archway, and enhance the shape set out in the arch by crystals.

Another elaborate dream. A dream which has helped get me through some very stressful times of late – things like taking on another senior engineer’s work after he left, facing a new and unpleasant work contract (do I stay, or – after more than 20 years – do I go?), serious family illnesses – and even my football team has plunged to new depths, with a near record string of losses before “the Rev” and returns from injuries got them back on track. ☺

Nevertheless, my labyrinth project IS a dream, and likely to remain so for some time to come. It has been sustaining, but of late it has shown signs of becoming a poison – a source of despair, as it never seems to get closer. Things in life can be like that: good in one set of circumstances, but not in another. A keg of clean water in a desert could be wonderful: in a flood, less certain to be a benefit. Hmm. My engineering left brain has just pointed out that drinking water supplies could be contaminated in floods, so a keg of clean water could actually be quite good. Excuse me while I give my engineering left brain a crossword and think of another example. OK: a keg of water in a load of supplies to be carried over a mountain range blessed with lots of pristine streams is not so clearly a benefit.

In my case, work pressures and family stress, and the time that these were continuing for, made that lovely, sweet dream and it’s continued mirage like status, toxic. So I have decided to learn from the 60s:

be here, now.

How am I going to do this? By building a labyrinth now.

OK, it will be a lot smaller, and less elaborate than the dream labyrinth, but I’ll have the energy here, now. I’ve carved runes and oghams - and drawn astrological symbols – onto small wooden pieces. I‘m going to bury these labyrinths beneath the lawn of our (rented) backyard, to create a labyrinth about 1.5m across. To walk the labyrinth, I’ll stand there and visualise myself doing so (meeting the runes and oghams along the way). To help any earth healing I do (and that is a powerful urge in me), I’ll tune in to this special area. In fact, I hope to go beyond healing Mother Earth (or Gaia, if you prefer) to – through this exercise - creating a little power spot to lift up the too often drab, dreary and depressed, sometimes violent and hoon afflicted energies of this working class suburb I and my partner live in.

When I can’t get out into the bush to recharge, I plan to stand there, and let it help me feel the bush and the energy of all the wild places. (It probably won’t help me, though, when I have the urge to be back on the water.)

I often stand out in our backyard on clear nights. We’ve had a few this autumn and winter - although I think the Brambuk calendar on the Bureau of Meteorology, which says we’ve already moved into “pre-spring”, indicates that the clear nights in autumn are to be expected. In any case, when I’m standing in the backyard, gazing at the stars and letting them draw me out to the universe, consider how more powerful that will be while standing on a labyrinth in a circle of special symbols?

I’ve had some suggestions to grow my grafted tree house in a bonsai version. I have mixed feelings about this. From a technical point of view, I know I need to do so, to develop my tree-grafting skills (non-existent at the moment!), and to check whatever combination of Australian trees I come up with for this idea. But emotionally, that hasn’t appealed to me. Maybe, when my bonsai labyrinth is in place, the bonsai tree house-grove will be more magically alive. I’d benefit from the discipline that bonsai requires, so ..... in the future, maybe.

In the meantime, time to plan the activation, consecration and charging of my labyrinth.


Love, light, hugs and blessings


Gnwmythr

Tags: dreams, Labyrinth, personal characteristics, rituals
First published: 13th June, 2007 

No comments: