Monday 6 August 2018

Post No.1,191 - Not Gnwmythr's News

Well, it's been about a  month since my two week break, and already I'm ready for another week off :)

More seriously, the usual decline in my out-of-work my energy levels (exacerbated by some temporary family circumstances) means I don't have the energy to do more creative, interesting writing - it's not that I no longer have the ideas (I have more than fifty at a basic record-of-concept or initial fleshing out stage), I don't have the time and energy to write them up properly.

Roll on retirement.

However, I don't want this log to be nothing more than news and Psychic Weather Reports (although I was fascinated to finally come across one other person who is doing some sort of similar work - see here). So ... what I can do without too much energy, is a list of some interesting reading. So here goes. I'll begin with several of John Beckett's posts.
Moving on, there is an interesting blog titled "Zen Habits" that I follow. An interesting post form that source of late was called "The Three Motivations".

Damh the Bard wrote an examination of a ritual he was part of under the title "Do not seek to walk in the footsteps of the people of old …".

And finally: someone - I'm still not sure who - signed me up to a Jewish newsletter in my home state. I've kept going with it as part of watching what's happening in terms of interfaith events (which is all still very heavily biased towards Abrahamic religions). Often, following the savagery and misogyny of Australia's so-called "debate" on Equal Marriage last year, I often don't bother to read this, but I did recently, and came across what I consider a close (it's not quite there yet) to reasonable perspective on the interaction between religious belief and human rights. Refer to clause 3.22 of this.

And now, back to getting ready for the day.

PS - I've been re-watching a few films lately, and, much as I enjoy the 2017 "Wonder Woman" film, I get frustrated that scriptwriters and filmmakers reduce what is essentially a contest of ideas (my view is that Deities each bring a part of creation into existence - most commonly, what we describe as an attribute or set of attributes [and we've not necessarily got that correct], e.g., Athena brings wisdom, Tyr social responsibility, and Horus healing). Any "contest" between Deities is actually more like a (nice, ethical) political debate than a physical contest.
I suppose the latter sells films betr to certain sections of the audience - and is easier to portray.
Ahwell.