Sunday 26 April 2020

Post No. 1,544 - Telepathy

A question in response to my post about the CE-5 event a couple of nights ago has reminded me of a shortcoming of telepathy: the assumption - which I've come across in many other situations: the question I've received doesn't show signs of this limitation - that it uses words, just as physical speech does. 

To illustrate the problem: in the early days of the internet, I came across someone who knew even less than me, and, in response to being urged to read article (which was relevant to some lobbying work we were both involved in) and asking for the URL, was told it was on page X. It took a third person to explain the problem to both of us.

Similarly, telepathy is not physical speech: it doesn't actually use words - or most of the time it doesn't use words.

This is one of the reasons I am sometimes reluctant to tell relatives that person Y was around recently, as they often expect it to be like a phone call, and want a word by word description of what was said.

Apart from nonphysical communication being direct conveyance of concepts, even in the physical world words are sometimes unnecessary.

As an example, on my first work trip to China in the 90s, an old mechanic and I would use a couple of gestures and a sketch and sort something out in a few minutes. It would then take much longer to explain that using a translator to other engineers - on one occasion, it took two hours to explain what we had sorted out in less than five minutes. The argument was about whether a motor could be turned by hand: I eventually got so tired I lost my patience, took a few steps, and turned the motor concerned by hand to show it could be done. Rude of me, but it got the message across. (Which, I've realised, is a bit like the Zen cook who demonstrated the essence of a jar by kicking it, thereby breaking it and showing it's nature - look it up on the Internet.)

As a light hearted example, when I was sailing competitively as a teenager, my crew's mother always insisted he ring if it was raining to check if we were still sailing. (When asked she said she was concerned about us getting wet, which was a stupid reply as we were always soaked as a result of hiking out as close to the water as we could get; it was years before she said she actually had concerns about issues such as visibility - years during which I had an unfairly low opinion of her - all of which shows the problems that arise from poor choice / poor use of words.) On a day that it was raining, the phone rang at the usual time (and we got VERY few calls), so I picked it up and said"Yes", which was followed by a click on the other end - indicating to me that my crew had called to ask if we were still sailing.

He and I were happy, but there were longer passages of time using words.

At my end:
Mum "Who was that?"
Me: "<crew name>"
Mum "What did he say?"
Me: "Nothing"
Dad: "How do you know it was him?"
I explained about the rain and time of call, but my parents insisted I call back to make - which was, to be fair, prudent. 

Before I could, however, my crew, having been through a similar process at the other end, which was intensified given he hadn't said anything at all, rang back, and we used words to convince the olds that we were talking to each other about the usual ☺

Words. I love many of 'em, and enjoy using them, but their use in the physical requires care, and I enjoy being able to communicate directly with concepts, feelings and thoughts - which is (advanced) telepathy.