Saturday 30 June 2007

Post No. 011 - Cross-training , persistence, priorities


There is a thing in sport called cross training: if you’ll pardon my non-expert explanation, the idea is you use a training method that is different to the activity you are training for. This helps with things like staying fresh, and preventing muscles settling into a comfortable routine and thus slowing their development.

I consider it possible to take this idea, and apply it to psychic and spiritual work.

An important aspect of psychic development is developing psychic strength. Most people find a routine which suits them, and then – in my experience – stick at it for too long. It is worth varying your routine occasionally – for instance, if you mostly use colour visualisation, try using chanting, runic yoga or some other method from time to time.

There’s another aspect to this which is worth learning: mental resilience, or mental toughness, or – if you prefer – simple old fashioned persistence. The media has reports now and again about teams or individuals which don’t give up and come back from near impossible positions to achieve victory. Quite a few people who are trying to develop their psychic abilities or spirituality, and find it all quite frustrating. It is worth thinking about ways to develop self confidence, self belief, self esteem and whatever else is needed to develop persistence. I’ll have a few suggestions on this in the near future: I have to, as I have been under quite a bit of prolonged pressure (due to workload after taking on a small promotion and the workload of someone who left, relatives being ill, and – more recently – myself being ill), and am struggling with exactly this issue.

I will admit I know that I need a holiday, but there’s a few other issues I have to sort out as well – in particular, the priorities I wish to live by.

If I had my dream, I would be living on a block of land and earning my living from writing and various alternative things like massage (my partner also shares the dream of living in a block of land, but not the other dreams). I’m not in a position to do so – I have debts that need to be cleared, including debts that my partner and I were caught with when she had to give up work owing to illness. So ... I have to resolve some lifestyle issues, including ways of living my dreams now (see my earlier post on that topic; I suspect that the Grove of Gyhldeptis will be a key part of this).

When I have done so, I will have developed my persistence and strength.
The photo I took while crusing on the Gippsland Lakes in eastern Victoria: it is a sunset in the Bunga Arm.

Love, light, hugs and blessings

Gnwmythr
 

No comments: