Sunday 2 January 2011

Post No. 202 - Passing on by ...

I read a story in "The Age" a few months ago, an article which was basically a response by someone to a news story, about a young person who died after being stabbed in a raiway station car park, a young person who had three people working to help him whilst other commuters rushed by. You can read the article for yourself here (although, after some time they archive the original article).

It's shows both the best and worst of people: those who cared enough to stop and try to help - which can be scary. When I was a student at uni, I was jogging round the uni late one night when I saw a car hit a roundabout and roll over into the path of an oncoming car, which hit the roof of the rolled over car. As I went over to see if I could help, I was dreading what I would find, thinking of head injuries in particular, but it turned out that all the drunk driver had done was get a few scratches.

More recently, a few months ago, I came upon an accident when I was on a deadline to pick up someone after work. There were people already giving assistance, so I didn't stop, but it was clearly pretty bad.

If other people hadn't been helping, would I have been affected by the phenomena mentioned in the university experiment in the article? (I would have been affected by my dislike of not being able to do enough, my fear of being inadequate, if you will - and my dislike of seeing real life physical injuries. [1] ) Would my commitment to pick up someone close to me and take them to something important outweigh the drive to be a decent human being? Clearly, based on the uni study mentioned in the article, it is for some people.

If you had been there, how would you have reacted? Do you know that for sure?

Love, light, hugs and blessings

Gnwmythr

Notes:
  1. To some extent I can trace this to an incident when I was in my early 20s, when I helped at an accident where an idiot in a car had cut in front of a truck on a wet day: the truck had locked up its brakes, and wound up skidding off the road and running over three teenager girls who were walking their pushbikes along the side of the road. There was no blood, but one of the girls clearly had a broken neck, and was in an immence amount of pain and VEY distressed.

    I can trace this also to past life influences - for instance, in my last life I was trying to stop bombers. If I didn't, I often got to see the slaughter a day or so later ...

    There are other past life influences as well: I'm working on all of these.

This post's photo is yet to be posted.

Tags: attitudes, commitment, fear, helping others, time constraints

First published: Sunnudagr, 2nd January, 2011

Last edited: Sunday, 2nd January, 2011