Friday 14 January 2011

Post No. 207 - Aging and retirement

I first started this post when I wanted to put some thoughts down about retirement. Basically, I was going to comment about how that would, in reality, be progressive (which is better, in my opinion, than stopping suddenly - I recall the problems my adoptive father had when he did that). The "obvious" way to do that would be to cut down to 4 days a week (mind you, I've often joked about cutting down to 5 days a week!), then 3 days per week, and so on.

Well, that's nice.

BUT ... what I would like to do is have my initial stage (well, the stage after 4 days a week - that one I do like!) as: don't work during my favourite times of the year, which are - to use the European terms - autumn and winter (in the Kulin people seasons, that would be Waring, the Wombat season).

This would allow me to be quiet and introspective during the - to use the Wiccan cycle of the year - dark half of the year

Hmmm. Nice - I like that.

One thing I also like, is being healthy and active. In my particular case, I have done quite a bit of exercise for most of my life, and I enjoy being physically active, and it is very beneficial to me. In fact, I once read (and regret not having kept the citation) an article which reviewed the evidence cited as the basis for saying being overweight is bad for one's health, and the review found it was actually being inactive that was the problem.

This is something which is commented on in "The Only Planet of Choice", to the effect that, as one ages, it is important to maintain some physical mobility in order to prevent one's mind locking up. Well, I can't comment on that (although I know many people who successfully follow the "young at heart" attitude), but I have watched my adoptive father as he wastes away - particularly after my adoptive mother, his wife of over 50 years, passed.

Now, to some extent, that IS aging - I should know, I have greater recovery time and more aches and pains (and a back that has arthritis, scoliosis and collapsing disks - my birth mother has just had a spinal fusion, so I'm thinking I have about 16 years to go ... and I am very aware not everyone CAN be active for reasons of different physical ability due to illnesses etc), but I have long held a theory that it is also lack of physical activity. Again, going on my personal experience, when work started to become more demanding, and I acquired family responsibilities, I know how hard it was to keep exercising, and how much my health suffered as a result.

On the other hand, I read a few years ago of an ex-commando who died at 102 and, until he became ill with the pneumonia that claimed him, did weight training for 2 hours a day plus a long walk. I would like to be able to do 2 hours of exercise (although much of my exercise is relatively gentle things like Tai Chi - which can be done sitting - and circling joints and stretching) - and 1 hour of meditation, breathing exercises and psychic exercises - every day. I can't at the moment, but I am working up to as much as I can.

If I can keep that going, it will be interesting to see if I can overcome the effect described in "The Only Planet of Choice" of the thinking of people on this planet contributing significantly to a much shorter lifetime ...

And in case I can't, I will live to the full - in MY way, which is a more reflective way than many others would be comfortable with, I suspect. (It certainly does NOT involve parties!)

Love, light, hugs and blessings

Gnwmythr

This post's photo is yet to be posted.

Tags: health, aging, attitudes, breathing, The Nine, commitment, love, about me, work, lifestyles,

First published: Laughnasdagr, 15th January, 2011

Last edited: Saturday, 15th January, 2011