Tuesday 18 January 2011

Post No. 211 - Perspectives on the self ...

While I'm going on in this reflective vein, I recently heard an interesting programme on the ABC Radio National's science show, which was a re-run of an older programme relayed from a show called Radiolab (which has a very annoying style of presentation for an old fuddy-duddy like me :) ) on Words.

The programme basically examines the effect that communication by means of language, particularly spoken language (or signing) has. While much of the programme was interesting, I particularly found the concept that language enables discrete ideas to link together (and possibly also enables discrete parts of the brain to link together from around age 6) quite fascinating. There have been times when I have been stuck for a word, and it has been extremely frustrating and limiting (in fact, I recently posted about trying to find a word - and toyed around with PAPH for a little while ...), but there have also been times when I came across a word, such as polyamory or lesbian or Goddess, and the experience has been liberating (for a start, it often meant that I wasn't a solitary freak: there were enough of us for someone to have to invent a word to label our little box :) ).

One of the people interviewed on the programme was Jill Bolte Taylor, who had a stroke that, in part, created a perception that seems similar to that which some meditators seek - basically, the left (logical) half of her brain was shut down, allowing full reign to the (creative, intuitive) right side, which left her with, in part, a lack of any sense of herself as being distinct from the rest of the Universe - in other words, in a state of Oneness with all ... ). Of course, her experience was physically forced, and therefore lacked the benefit of all the hard work when people train themselves to achieve something like Oneness.

That hard, preparatory work, that STRUGGLE, actually serves a purpose. It is that which allows us (albeit possibly at a Soul level [1]) to test the limits and interactions of the "something new", which allows us to integrate it into ourself usefully and effectively, and then enables the experience to become integrated into the Universe's net experiences as we build our Higher Bodies which then eventually become part of the Source ... (see my previous post here). So, I wouldn't recommend trying to acheive a sense of oneness through having a crippling stroke any more than I would say ... trying hard drugs or forcing the kundalini to rise before you have evolved appropriately (and keep in mind that the kundalini DOES rise of its own accord when you are ready).

And now for a final thought: one of the reasons I can make these sorts of speculations is because I am privileged enough to be in a situation where I do not have to worry about having enough safe food, clean water or shelter for me and my loved ones to survive: others in this world - MANY others - are not so fortunate ...

PS: came across a couple of things which might contribute to the general thinking on this topic:
  • A repeat of a programme on the ABC Radio National programme Lifematters on being unbalanced towards being positive and optimistic. The blurb includes the following: "When author Barbara Ehrenreich was diagnosed with breast cancer she found the emphasis on positive thinking a burden rather than a support. She describes positive thinking as an ideological force in American culture that is denying reality and promoting individual rather than social solutions to problems. She advocates a return to realism and critical thinking." See here for more.
  • This article started to seem like a diatribe until I got past the half way mark. I should have known better if I'd paid attention to who wrote it! The details are: "Ruby-encrusted belly buttons and bikies not bad, after all", The Age, 19th January 19, 2011, URL: http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/rubyencrusted-belly-buttons-and-bikies-not-bad-after-all-20110118-19v7e.html


Love, light, hugs and blessings

Gnwmythr

Notes:

  1. There is a saying that if you wish to learn something, teach it. What I have found through teaching things from sailing through engineering to metaphysics/psychism/spirituality, is that one's students will often thing of questions that you had't (in fact, I now often get the engineers I mentor to teach whatever they have learnt to others as part of my mentoring/teaching). The things I have strugled with may in fact turn out to be those that I am best at - for instance, sailing. I have had many lives, and took to the sailing world easily enough, but when I first started skippering my own boat, I was useless at competitive sailing. Eventually someone (thank you Gary G) took pity on me, crewed for me and managed to get me to "get it all together" and I was then away learning, developing new things and being successful (at a regional level). If I had been moderately successful initially, I would never have developed the ability I did later.

This post's photo is yet to be posted.

Tags: science, perceptions, perspective, personality, brain,

First published: Tysdagr, 18th January, 2011

Last edited: Wednesday, 19th January, 2011