Friday 31 August 2007

Post No. 015 - Personality and the lack of permanence


You are not your personality.


Unsettling? I know that most of us tend to get a bit attached to our personality, and I have no fundamental problems with people HAVING personalities, but the reality is that our personalities are not fixed. We change with time and experience. For instance, I've been through an enormous amount in this lifetime, and I no longer have the same views that I used when I was born (I've got more of an Aussie relaxed attitude to some things). My last post, at http://gnwmythr.blogspot.com/2007/08/colour-healing-example-of-my-early.html, shows some of this change. Indeed, there is a saying, which I think I came across through Buddhism, that the only permanent thing in the Universe is change.


I have to qualify this by pointing out that there can be valuable aspects of our personality or character. I know the mistakes in my last incarnation (much of which fall into trying to be popular or going along with the crowd far too much, and also with taking on too much work), and have worked at deliberately changing those mistakes (although I still tend to allow myself to get into situations at work where I have too much work - which can be a manifestation of "wanting to be popular", by not saying "no, I can't do that, so you'll have to crash and burn or find another solution like tell the client you'll be late"). I also know, however, some of the strengths of that incarnation - which relate to what tends to get called "team development" now: training or teaching, in a sense. I still enjoy facilitating the development of people, and that is one of the joys of my day job at the moment, a joy which does at times get swamped by the workload.


As another example of that, I am aware of an early Middle Ages lifetime where I had a strong sense of honour: that can be a strong motivator now to maintain my integrity, but that lifetime was also one where I was intolerant, and made the sort of mistakes I've commented on others making (things like judging others on characteristics I have no right to even have an opinion on).


In the sense of personality, my "religious" lives, such as being a priestess or a Tibetan monk, have led to major changes in my character (I apologise if you are upset by my use of personality and character interchangeably, but I honestly don't see much difference - and I do think some people get too hung up on trying to define specific shades of meaning that don't exist), and the joy at seeing others develop seems to have started with combining the effects of some of my past lives as a mother with the changes brought about by those "religious" lives (specifically, seeing all humanity as my family, rather than only my blood relatives).


In this life, my current (day job) workload is a major problem: this is one of the current challenge I am dealing with, and it will be interesting to see what sort of person I am in a year's time.


This process of change is one that you can take charge of. I was fortunate to come across Buddhism at an early age (as a teenager), and started doing things like using affirmations (there is an art to this - I'm not impressed by the "fluffy bunny" type of affirmations, but it IS possible to write an affirmation which will lead to useful change for the better in your character, and I'm as equally not impressed with those who think affirmations are rubbish - well, that part of them, at any rate).


The life you planned for yourself, combined with the guidance of your incarnate and discarnate guides, will lead you to the lessons you need to learn. Have faith and patience, but then look at yourself critically: what do you want to change? Are you aware that you are possibly changing thousands of years of habits or some overwhelming past experiences (not necessarily all in past lives), and prepared to be persistent accordingly? Are you prepared to be sensible about this - for example, common, everyday garden variety counselling may actually be your best tool for change, rather than affirmations or past life regressions or rituals or using keys (see my post at http://gnwmythr.blogspot.com/2007/08/superheroes.html) - or a combination of these and other techniques may actually be best.


Your personality if a key part of you on the levels of this planet and the etheric and astral worlds about us: there are aspects of our personalities and other aspects of ourselves which we discover as we "find ourselves", or explore our inner essence: ALL of those are within our power to change, both for the better and for the worse.


Your decision about your next step in life may be the beginning of an enhancement of your wisdom.


Love, light, hugs and blessings


Gnwmythr


This post's photo was taken many years ago, at sunset near the entrance of Boxes Creek in the Gippsland Lakes.


Tags: personal characteristics, change

First published: Sunday 2nd September, 2007 
 

No comments: