Saturday 2 July 2011

Post No. 287 - "Free" plug: the Order of Scathach Youtube videos

Well, life has been a bit tough of late - lots of pressure at work, insecurity as others about me are being laid off, professional and technical "challenges" at work including multiple coincident deadlines, not enough time and/or energy to do my psychic and spiritual practices as regularly as they should, not enough time and/or energy to progress major life tasks ... and then, last night, my car broke down while I was travelling home.

"Fortunately" (coincidence - hah!) it broke down outside a mechanic who was working late, but I know that this is the beginning of the end for my 11 year old mechanical beastie - just as such problems were for each of my other cars (for environmental reasons, I like to hold on to them for as long as possible: my first I had for 16 years and 360,000 km, the second was for only four years, but this one has served for 11 years and 330,000 km ... ). Well, I can't afford another car, so we're looking at a few years of scraping and saving and cutting back on going bush (and forget about getting back on the water) until we can get something - after we pay for what has to be done now (which is not cheap).

This on top of everything else was quite depressing. What helped lift me out of that depression - apart from my partner's understanding and brilliant support - is the monthly videos at the Order of Scathach (see here; by the way, "Scathach" is pronounced "sky-aa").

I've just watched two, one on justice, one on perception, and found both excellent. I could particularly relate to the incident in the one on perception where groups were out walking and so blind to what was happening about them - not to mention selfish and lacking in manners - that Kerr Cuhulain had to dodge round them, instead of them sharing the path. The comments about seeking balance rather than being angry were also good.

It was after watching these that I was able to start thinking effectively about what to do to cope with life without a car.

It may not help you with depression, but these videos are worth a look anyway for the spiritual, moral and other personal benefits they can be :)

I quite their values, as well - see here. Those values resonate with me - shame they're on the other side of the world :)

Oh, and since those videos, we've had (as a result of my partner's networking) quite a few offers of help from people we've helped - including a short term loan of a car. Ahhh, karma :) (It actually reminds me of a time that something like this happened when I was a teenager: I broke my mast one week before a regatta when I got caught by a bit of a freak wave (over 20'), but all the people I had helped out over the preceding years ofered me so much stuff that I could have rigged TWO boats for the regatta.)

Love, light, hugs and blessings

Gnwmythr
(pronounced "new-MYTH-ear")

Tags: attitudes, personal responsibility, responsibility,

First published: Laugadagr, 2nd July, 2011


Last edited: Saturday, 2nd July, 2011