Thursday 26 May 2016

Post No. 870 - *****y Real Estate Agents

Update:
the agent's staff have turned out to be better behaved than others: there are, however, still aspects I am unhappy with, but I may be able to live with the situation - although I still want to get back on the water ASAP. It's simpler there, less expensive, and gives better contact with the natural world.

I still hold with my recommendations 1 and 2.

Previous post:
The behaviour of our new real estate agent is something I've already checked with the Tenants Union of Victoria and found, to be polite, "less than satisfactory". Those problems are continuing, and I have another enquiry about them with the TUV over behaviour that I know is (a) considered a clear breach of our right to quiet enjoyment of the premises, and (b) has led to women fleeing violent partners being identified and bashed as a result.

Overall, the whole bl**dy mess is a good indication of why I consider we need to:
  1. teach people how to think clearly (so tenants and landlords realise they're trading off convenience / peace / FEAR OF RETALIATION  against compliance with legal requirements / good practice for keeping tenants / moral principles)
  2. better legal protection for tenants (something like a tenant's agent to offset the power of the real estate agents would be good - someone to stand there and dispute anything unfair / unreasonable / ILLEGAL on the spot, and an office which also has records of problem agents and landlords), and active social education to change people's attitudes towards renters who, in Australia, are virtually seen as a class of untermensch.
Well, time to pack some stuff back up into storage, and hope I can get back on the water.

At least the new place has more space than I've had for 8 years or so.