Saturday 13 May 2023

Post No. 2,440 - a suggestion to view the Paradox of Tolerance as a social contract, rather than a moral standard

Based on Yonatan  Zungers 2017 essay Tolerance is not a moral precept, mattiaq (@mattiaq@frenfiverse.net, on Frenfiverse (I think) has created a lovely meme on the Paradox of Tolerance, at https://assets.newsie.social/media_attachments/files/109/667/837/768/792/092/original/7bc0fc0d70583f71.png (first seen by me via https://zirk.us/@shacker/110325973420239177), image copied below:


This is an interesting and possibly useful way of approaching the issue, but I have to think through the implications (e.g., what happens if this is adopted for other norms? Where are any boundaries of this and other approaches and what are the variations/decisions around those) before I will whole-heartedly advocate for it, but Ill certainly keep it in mind as a useful tool.


Possible flaws 

Where I can, I will try to highlight possible flaws / issues you should consider:

  • there may be flawed logical arguments in the above: to find out more about such flaws and thinking generally, I recommend Brendan  Myers’ free online course “Clear and Present Thinking” 
  • I could be wrong - so keep your thinking caps on, and make up your own minds for yourself.

 

If you appreciated this post, please consider promoting it - there are some links below. 

Finally, remember: we need to be more human being rather than human doing.