Tuesday 2 May 2023

Post No. 2,432 - Link to old post

From a recent post of mine on Mastodon: 

For any Pagans out there, this is a ritual I wrote years ago attempting to combine southern hemisphere Samhain with a northern hemisphere Beltane (and I should have thought to post it a few days ago). I first learned about the the Wheel of the Year when I was living in the tropics (southern hemisphere), so my experience of seasons was:   

  • hot, humid and unending blue sky with sun to our north,   
  • hot, humid and unending blue sky with sun to our south,   
  • hot, VERY humid and unending blue sky with sun to our south,  
  •  week or two of monsoonal rain and floods (we had ducks visit the floodwater in our back yard - and small crabs one year that the water took a long time to drain),   and   
  • hot, humid and unending blue sky with sun to our north. 

Indigenous seasons always made more sense. It also didn’t seem right to me that each hemisphere did its own thing with no acknowledgement of the other hemisphere, so I had a go at writing a series of rituals acknowledging both - I might try to rewrite these to something better (simpler, at least) when I retire, but I’d be just as happy for someone more talented to do that. 

https://gnwmythr.blogspot.com/2012/01/southern-samhain-northern-beltane.html


If you appreciated this post, please consider promoting it - there are some links below. 

Finally, remember: we need to be more human being rather than human doing.