Tuesday 26 April 2011

Post No. 256 - Family of choice

I've recently had the advantages of what I term "family of choice" emphasised to me again, in terms of "family of choice" being genuinely more caring, and less concerned about counting occasions and comparing how well one has marked those, or how much attention and favours one has conferred, rather than simply being, and enjoying the shared existence of this world.

I know others consider blood family to be more reliable than friends: I feel sad for those people, who have clearly not had the blessing I have had in my family of choice (which does include some blood and adoptive family).

I also feel sorry for those people who have had truly horrendous experiences with family - such as those who have been abused as children.

It all goes to show, in my opinion, that we should treasure those relationships which are good, and not pressure or destroy them by expectations, including the expectation that certain relationships should be such-and-such. If the relationship naturally is genuinely two way, wonderful: if it isn't, let it quietly pass, and move on.

PS - I think it is high time the worlds of commerce and the law accepted the reality that friends - people who do not fit the commonly used definition of "family" - can be of massive importance to our lives and wellbeing. If one of my clsoe friends dies, I may well need more compassionate leave than I would if some of my family (e.g. uncles, aunts, cousins) died. If one of my close friends is ill or in need of help, I count that on a par to my close family members (e.g. sisters, parents, partner) being ill, and may need carers leave. (Also, I find it very distubring when economists get consulted on issues that they should not be, issues involving human rights, for instance.)
Love, light, hugs and blessings

Gnwmythr
(pronounced "new-MYTH-ear")

This post's photo is yet to be posted.

Tags: family, attitudes, friends,

First published: Tysdagr, 26th April, 2011

Last edited: Friday, 29th April, 2011