Friday 24 April 2015

Post No. 690 - More on Magickal Elements

My apologies: I had the order of properties wrong in the first version of this post. I have corrected the table, and, now, the pentagram. 

When I started studying Wicca, I was taught the Wiccan idea of (magickal) elements. I understood that fairly readily, as I had come across it before, and used it in many of my magickal workings – in fact, the concept probably dates back to ancient Greek philosophers (or further), and came to us via Hermeticism (there is some good information on this, if I recall correctly, in Brendan Myers’ book “The Earth, The Gods and the Souls”). However, the concept of associating an element with a particular direction was new to me – before then, when I had invoked a pentagram in a quarter, I had invoked all four mundane elements and æther in each quarter, like this:


Now, associating an element with each quarter was the way things were done in Wicca, and much of Paganism, and the explanations made sense (although, mostly, if you were in Scotland – or perhaps England), and I just adapted the correspondences to the Southern Hemisphere (and I know people who, for instance, if they are working on the west side of Port Phillip, invoke water in the east [and I see this is now mentioned on Wikipedia] – and I know others who insist on no change for the Southern Hemisphere, to the extent of insisting that people here celebrate Litha in the middle of winter!), and then, more recently, started to explore properly adapting this by using true, local seasons. However, going back to the association of elements with the points of a pentagram, other people seem to have had an association along the lines of this (from Wikipedia, author “Jakub Jankiewicz (Jcubic)”)


(Incidentally, it is great to see a diagram with the Wiccan symbols for the elements added in as well: one of the many annoyances of life is that people tend to scatter information across multiple places, instead of summarising it into one. I find that particularly in my day job, where I consider much of the information on Process & Information Drawings [PIDs] can be combined usefully, easily and clearly with the information on Process Flow Diagrams – but I digress from this aside, and all for the sake of a good ol' grumpy whinge :) )

I’ve pretty much done nothing about the order of elements around the pentagram, other than cringe, as nails were metaphorically scraped over the magickal blackboard of my soul :) , but now I think I have found why I like the elements in the order that I do. (I think I had associated the “heavier” elements of earth and water with the lower legs of the pentagram, and the “lighter” elements of air and fire with the arms.)

I found the answer – or the missing part of the puzzle, I should say - in Agrippa’s Philosophy of Natural Magic: Complete Work on Natural Magic, White & Black Magic, published in 1559 and being the first volume of his De occulta philosophia libri tres. (Heinrich Cornelius Agrippa lived 14th September 1486 – 18th February 1535, and was a German magician, occult writer, theologian, astrologer, and alchemist; I got my copy from the Ordo Aurum Solison-line public library, but modern versions have been published as well.)

In that, Mr. Agrippa states that each element has two properties, which are various combinations of heat-cold and dry-moist. One property is referred to as “proper”, and the other as “mean”. I haven’t explored that description far enough as yet, but I suspect it means “higher octave/frequency expression” and “lower octave/frequency octave expression”, in the sense of levels - or frequencies - of reality.

Probably the clearest way for me to present that is in a (corrected) table:

Agrippa’s explanation is that the elements are in a sequence, where the “mean” property of one becomes the “proper” property of the next.

Furthermore, the order that he has the elements listed in is the order I use, if I travel around the outside of the pentagram in a clockwise direction. This brought to mind what I had been taught about elements when studying “Touch for Health” back in the 80s, which was arranging the (Eastern) elements into a pentagram, and viewing the interactions between them in two ways:
  • generative, and
  • control.
The generative cycle goes around the outside of the pentagram, in a clockwise direction. 

The control cycle is internal, and uses the sequence I use when drawing a pentagram to invoke (top to lower right, lower right to upper left, etc – and I am aware that some do that in a different order, but I don’t consider this related to the direction of the sun: more on that some other time). For an illustration of that, see here, which is from here.

So, in this system (and, strictly speaking, if I use Mr Agrippa’s system ӕther should perhaps be drawn either in the centre, or encompassing all on the outside, rather than using a pentagram - but when I have ever just stuck to using what I’ve been told? :) ), the “dryness” of fire generates the “dryness” of earth, the “coldness” of earth generates the “coldness” of water, etc, which could also be viewed as a category of what I term the Magickal Principle of Harmony, or what others term “like unto like”.

Also, if one had, say, an excess of stolidity (i.e., earth), one would use ӕther to control it. If one was being distracted (an excess of air), use earth to control it, and so on.

Now, in Touch For Health, when strengthening, one finishes by using the control cycle to stop the effect continuing until it becomes unbalanced. So, continuing with this exercise, possible uses of this way of viewing the elements (and this no doubt has parallels with the old idea of humours, which has – in the sense of physical medicine – been well and truly superceded) could include:
  • emotionally:
    earth could steady (control) the mental flightiness of an excess of air, and possibly the passion of fire could control some emotions, such as some forms of depression, which may be an excess of water (depression has many forms and causes, and ALWAYS should be treated under competent medical supervision),
    whereas
    if one had a lack of emotion, one may need to use earth to stimulate that (e.g., if feeling numb and overwhelmed from modern life, get out into nature);
  • physically (these examples are dreadful, I admit, but I’m tiring, now, after several hours of this):
    if a runny nose is due to an excess of water, it would be controlled by fire – dry heat (and a visit to the chemist),
    whereas
    if one’s temperature is high due to an excess of fire, and application of air would control it – so stand in front of a fan, in a sense;
  • magickally:
    an excess of water manifesting as flitting from one thing to another could be controlled by a dose of fire – perhaps as passion for something,
    whereas
    being too passionate about something could be controlled by the inspired thought of air.

I am going to have a go at adding this to my weekly psychic weather reports, although many of those situations – as with all life – are more a case of the blend of elements. So a situation may be, for instance, 50% earth, 20% air, 15% water, 10% fire and 5% ӕther, whereas it should, perhaps be 30% earth, 20% air, 15% water, 10% fire and 25% ӕther. I'll be nominating an element to increase or to control an influence, and another to finish to stop things becoming unbalanced.

To summarise this, I’m going to present a revised diagram (and corrected, for the initial error of properties) which summarises what I have been talking about above, and includes a speculation that ӕther includes all four “properties”. This also shows my association of sigils with the elements – includes those of the (in the Hermetic sense) kings of each element, which is something that must be used with great caution (and is something I started exploring after reading Katherine  Kerr's Deverry series).

I am also missing the sigil for ӕther. I don’t know what it should be … so I will keep searching, and trying to earn the right to know. 


I’m going to finish on another note: the combination of a couple of ideas I had some time ago: tetrahedrons – specifically, protective tetrahedrons, and protective sheets (see here). My partner had the idea of using rolled up, miniaturised versions of protective sheets as a way of having portable protection – put them in your handbag, for instance, or perhaps you could make them a pagan version of the mezuzah (which I mentioned previously, but haven't got around to making yet ... ).




[1] BPLF = Balanced Positive (spiritual) Light Forces. See here and here for more on this.

[2] Please see here, here and my post "The Death of Wikipedia" for the reasons I now recommend caution when using Wikipedia. I'm also exploring use of h2g2, although that doesn't appear to be as extensive (h2g2 is intended - rather engagingly - to be the Earth edition of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy").

[3] I apologise for the formatting: it seems Blogger is no longer as WYSIWYG as it used to be, and there are a lot of unwanted changes to layout made upon publishing, so I often have to edit it immediately after publishing to get the format as close to what I want as possible.



Tags: about me, correspondences, elements, Hermeticism, magick, Paganism, pentagram, sigils, Wicca,
First published: Fryrsdagr, 24th April, 2015
Last edited (excluding fixing typo's and other minor matters): Friday, 24th April, 2015

   

If you appreciated this post, please consider promoting it - there are some links below, and theres also Instagram

Remember: we generally need to be more human being rather than human doing, to mind our Mӕgan, and to acknowledge that all misgendering is an act of active transphobia/transmisia that puts trans+ lives at risk & accept that all insistence on the use of “trans” as a descriptor comes with commensurate use of “cis” as a descriptor to prevent “othering” (just as binary gendered [men’s and women’s] sporting teams are either both given the gender descriptor, or neither).

Copyright © Kayleen White 2007-2024     NO AI   I do not consent to any machine learning aka Artificial Intelligence (AI), generative AI, large language model, machine learning, chatbot, or other automated analysis, generative process, or replication program to reproduce, mimic, remix, summarise, or otherwise  replicate any part of this post or other posts on this blog via any means. Typos may be inserrted deliberately to demonstrate this is not an AI product.     Otherwise, fair and reasonable use is accepted under Creative Commons 4.0 on an Attribution-ShareAlike basis https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/