Friday 19 November 2010

Post No. 172 - Scientific proof that the future can be predicted?

As I was driving home tonight, I was listening to the BBC The World Today programme (I think) via ABC Radio NewsRadio, when they had a segment which was more or less introduced along the lines of scientific proof that people can predict the future.

The segment was an interview with a Professor Daryl Bem, a psychologist working at Cornell University, who may have found scientific evidence that people can predict the future.

What Professor Bem did was a variation of a memory test.

In the standard form, volunteers are shown a list of 48 words, one word at a time for three seconds, on a computer screen. They are then given exercises to do with half of those words - selected at random by the computer. After this, they are asked to write down as many of the original list of 48 words as they can. Not surprisingly, the 24 words that they had exercises for are more frequently (as a "long term" statistical trend) remembered.

In the modified form, the 48 words are shown to the volunteers, then they write the list, then get exercises for randomly selected words. The same trend is still apparent.

Interesting - I'll have a think about how much credence I will give to this. It will possibly only mean something to me if one of the Skeptics organisations acknowledges it as valid - I don't need a scientist to tell me what I know to be truth.

I found a few links for this story; here is the New Scientist link. Have a read and see what you think.

Love, light, hugs and blessings

Gnwmythr

This post's photo is yet to be posted.

Tags: science, scepticism, precognition, psychism, psychology,

First published: Friday 19th November, 2010

Last edited: Friday 19th November, 2010