Thursday 25 November 2010

Post No. 175 - Privacy, fraud and identity theft

In one of Jean Auel's Earth's Children series of books, there is a scene where a couple of poles are crossed over a doorway, and that is enough for others to stay out of the room and leave the couple inside some privacy. Those sort of days are long past now :)

These days, we have a whole series of new crimes to watch out for, including identity theft. Now, whilst I am of the view that improving your karmic situation (see here and here) and using protection will help you avoid crime, there is a time and place for common sense also.

I recently heard of someone giving numerological readings where people were required to submit their name, date of birth and address. Now, there could well be valid reasons for seeking that information - name (in some cases, birth) and date of birth are used in various forms of numerology (I myself use use name, and have studied systems based on date of birth, although I no longer use those), but your address is NOT part of systems (other than, perhaps, the number of your house) - although maybe it is obtained so they can send you a hard copy?

In any case, if you give that much information, you have provided enough information for criminals to start committing identity theft and fraud in your name. Sure, there are protections under law, but if that happens, you will still experience enormous stress and expense as you try to set things right. 'tis better to exercise an ounce of prevention ...

In the case of the numerological readings I mentioned, I would check why the information is being requested, do what checking on the person I can (e.g. internet search) and then make sure I did not give all three pieces of information. These days I do not use my true date of birth anywhere on the internet (I also do not hand over photo ID unless it is to someone I am satisfied has authority AND genuine need for that), and I have never done things like put my address on a social networking site (which is one of the many reasons I do not use Facebook).

In the case of psychic readings, I can understand people wanting to get a reading (often as part of the desperate search for love many of us go through, particularly when young): don't, however, make yourself vulnerable through your desire: exercise a modicum of common sense. If someone asks for your address, perhaps arrange with friend to give theirs instead. If someone asks for your birth date, be VERY wary of giving it out - your address can be got from the phone book once they have your name, but getting a date of birth is a little harder. I know many people like to put their date of birth up so they can get birthday wishes from friends who have been reminded by the website: I am perfectly willing to forego the "pleasure" of having a computer programme congratulate me on my birthday. My friends know when I was born, their well wishes mean something, the computer's do not. If this is important to you, choose a fake public date that is close to your real birthday, then, but be wary of putting too much information up.

I know that psychism is real: I also know that crime is real. I know that you, dear Reader, have the capacity to think: do so.

PS - people in workplaces who read out their details willy-nilly over phones are also being incredibly irresponsible. Voices carry, and workmates can fall out ...

Love, light, hugs and blessings

Gnwmythr

This post's photo is yet to be posted.

Tags: crime, privacy, Internet, misleading others,

First published: Thursday 25th November, 2010

Last edited: Friday 26th November, 2010