Tuesday 28 October 2014

Post No. 607 - Current Online Debate about the Reality of Working with the Goddesses and Gods

Richard Bach once wrote, in a foreword to one of his books, words to the effect that a book is an idea that smashes through your front wall, seizes you gently by the throat, and says "I will not let you go, until you set me down, in words, on paper".

It's something I've sometimes used as an analogy for how I feel about my Patron Deities - I didn't read a list of Deities' attributes, as if I was reviewing a set of job applications, and then grandly decide "you'll do - you can serve me and do my bidding". No,

EVERY

SINGLE 

PATRON DEITY

I HAVE

EXPECTS ME

TO SERVE THEM

Should I repeat that? Maybe I'll just quote from the definition/explanation of mine that I linked to earlier:
The relationship with Patron Deities can be more difficult - for instance the work I do for Yinepu (who most people refer to by His Greek name, Anubis) is spirit rescue. Often this is enjoyable or at least rewarding, but at times it is difficult, challenging, exhausting work - especially so when I was learning. The work I do for Bast, the work where I am seeking to protect cats against human cruelty, can be extremely upsetting.
This can get even more difficult if your Patron Deity is not so easily anthropomorphised into a human image ...

In the old days, my impression is that, often, it was the quality of one's relationship with a Deity that mattered more than whether or not that Deity's attributes best suit the goal you have. That meant, establish a good, healthy relationship with a Deity, and ask that Deity to intercede with others if need be, rather than being so arrogant as to presume that all Deities exist to serve your whims. They have tasks and work you know: anything they can do for you is a minor - miniscule - matter for them, not something of pressing importance.
So, it was with very considerable interest that I came, courtesy of good ol' Wild Hunt, across the following debate:
Now, sadly, I've come to that a few weeks after the fact, but the posts are still worth a read, and, more importantly, a think.

I wish you, Dear Reader, Good Thinking :)

[1] BPLF = Balanced Positive (spiritual) Light Forces. See here and here for more on this.

[2] Please see here and my post "The Death of Wikipedia" for the reasons I now recommend caution when using Wikipedia. I'm also exploring use of h2g2, although that doesn't appear to be as extensive (h2g2 is intended - rather engagingly - to be the Earth edition of "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy").

Love, light, hugs and blessings


Gnwmythr, Wéofodthegn 
(pronounced "new-MYTH-ear"; ... aka Bellatrix Lux? … Morinehtar? … Would-be drýicgan ... )

My "blogiography" (list of all posts and guide as to how to best use this site) is here, and my glossary/index is here.

I started this blog to cover karmic regression-rescue (see here and here), and it grew ... See here for my group mind project, here and here for my "Pagans for Peace" project (and join me at 9 PM on Sunday, wherever you are, to meditate for peace), and here for my bindrune kit-bag. I also strongly recommend learning how to flame, ground and shield, do alternate nostril breathing, work with colour, and see also here and be flexible. 

I am a Walker upon the Path of Balanced Positivity, seeking Spiritual Maturity.
  • Gnwmythr's Stropping Strap: Occam's Razor only works if  the simplest solution is actually recognised as being the simplest, rather than the one that best fits one's bigotries being labelled 'simplest'.
  • Our entire life experience, with all the many wondrous and varied people, places and events in it, is too small a sample for statistical reliability about Life.
  • May the world of commerce and business be recognised to be a servant, not a master, of the lives of people.
  • Being accustomed to interacting via certain rules makes those rules neither right nor universal.
  • Like fire to the physical, emotions to the soul make a good servant, and a bad master.
  • The means shape the end.
  • As words can kill, the right to freedom of speech comes with a DUTY to be as well-informed, objective and balanced as you can be.
  • My favourite action movie of all time is "Gandhi", although I've recently come across "Invictus" and might put that one in to that category. However, I loathe the stereotypical action movie - and, for similar reasons, I loathe many dramas, which are often emotionally violent, more so in some cases than many war films.
  • All of the above - and this blog - could be wrong, or subject to context, perspective, or state of spiritual evolution ...

Jesus loves you. Odin wants you to grow up.
(Facebook meme, according to John  Beckett)

We make our decisions. And then our decisions turn around and make us.
F.W. Boreham

Females, get over 'cute'. Get competent. Get trained. Get capable. Get over 'cute'. And those of you who are called Patty and Debby and Suzy, get over that. Because we use those names to infantalise females – we keep females in their 'little girl' state by the names we use for them. Get over it. If you want to be taken seriously, get serious.
Jane Elliott

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good [people] to do nothing.
(based on writing by) Edmund Burke

We didn't inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we only borrowed it from our children
Antoine De Saint-Exupéry

True compassion is more than flinging a coin to a beggar; it is not haphazard and superficial. It comes to see that an edifice which produces beggars needs restructuring.
Martin Luther King, Jr.

There are risks and costs to a program of action. But they are far less than the long-range risks and costs of comfortable inaction.
John F. Kennedy
Tags: Deity, devotion, Patron Deity, practice, religion, spirituality,
First published: Tysdagr, 28th October, 2014
Last edited (excluding fixing typo's and other minor matters): Sunday, 28th October, 2014