Sunday 5 July 2020

Post No. 1,606 - Thoughts today

John  Kerry's autobiography is titled "Every Day is Extra", which is a saying the US military serving in Vietnam used: they could die at any moment, and thus every day they didn't should be celebrated. That doesn't mean, despite the possibly self-revelatory assumptions of some, an indulgence in hedonism - many see it as a chance to accomplish real and constructive change. I can relate to that, as I had experienced six incidents when I genuinely thought I was about to die before I was 28.

I'm mindful of that now, as my fight against the fatal effects of transphobia & homophobia, the health impacts of overwork, and and my pre-existing health conditions, now have the added potential for death or ongoing, serious health complications from COVID-19.

Under those circumstances, every day IS extra - and that is why I am publishing short little posts of thoughts like this one, and extracts from my - hopefully - forthcoming autobiography. I don't know that I'll be alive to see those plans happen. (I never have known that, which is why I find comments that I "should" wait until I retire - or something else - egregiously offensive. As several others have said about the struggle against racism: "how much longer must I wait?")

Now, I've talked to my partner about who might be able to finish my autobiography, but I'm yet to find anyone I can entrust my psychic work to.

So, on to today's thoughts.

The modern world's elitist class struggles have expanded. There is still a social class struggle - ESPECIALLY in societies (like mine) that blind themselves to this by spouting the "oh we don't have classes" rubbish, but there is a new elitism over technology.

Every single person who acts to make their technology only talk to their own company's tech, or only the latest (sometimes that is necessary - up to a point: e.g., when networks change) version, is:
(a) being as shallow, superficial, materialistic, irresponsible, and ENVIRONMENTALLY damaging as those who insist on new cars/fridges/clothes/other consumer goods with minor detailing / colour changes; and
(b) actively, deliberately, and MALICIOUSLY damaging the fabric of human society.
At most, all you're doing is changing the form of the problem of excluding others, and setting yourself up so you can be the one doing the excluding - you're no better or different than those who may have done the same to you.

Congratulations on being a puppet of your scars, rather than an agent of REAL change.

As Gandhi said: "Do you fight to change things, or to punish?"

Next thought for today.

One of the engineering profession's biggest problem is individuals' level of obsession with engineering, and expecting that level of  obsession in others. Apart from the fact that such attitudes are actively setting up barriers to women and carers (in my ideal world, all obsessives would have to pass an audit where they do 50% of the housework - to a reasonable standard, not superficially - before they can continue in engineering), but in addition, in my opinion, all people should be reasonably well rounded - they should generally have some richness and variety to their live that goes beyond work, they should be able to follow and get involved to some extent in politics, they should be aware of changes such as increased acceptance of LGBTIQ+ people (I know dinosaurs in engineering who don't know that) - in short, they need time and energy to think of more than just grubbing in the dirt for survival.

If they don't have that, I question their competence at being human.

And now my final thought.

One of the problems I've come across with many people is that they behave as if real life was like the school yard. Thus, for instance, I've come across people who will say "I don't believe you" - and don't realise that they haven't just used a casual phrase, they've made a defamatory accusation, whereas what they should have said is "I'm having trouble accepting that", which puts the problem on them, not the speaker, and invites discussion about evidence. The accusation of "I don't believe you" shuts out the provision of further evidence by the speaker, as it saying the speaker is lacking in credibility. (If that is you intention, so be it - but be aware it could have consequences.)

I've also come across similar things in engineering, where one company combined our report with theirs and reversed what we had said. I warned the client not to use that, and the other company that they were at risk of legal action. Looking back now, I should have also immediately, without any further discussion, have referred that pack of bastards to the Institution of Engineers Australia's Ethics Committee.

And that's just one example of this sort of, frankly, stupidity.

Grow up, people, start thinking - and start being aware of your personal scars and dealing with them constructively, instead of inflicting them on others.

Finally, some interesting articles for your consideration: