Tuesday 8 September 2020

Post No. 1,658 - Spiritual aspects of the pandemic lockdown

Black Lives Matter!

Let me begin by stating quite clearly that I support the measures being taken to manage the pandemic - such as hand washing (not always possible - many nations have limited water supply), wearing facemasks (which I was advocating for long before my home state made them mandatory), and the lockdown. 

However, having made that point, there are aspects to this pandemic lockdown that go beyond managing the risks to life and ongoing health from the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) virus and the COVID-19 illness it causes. 

The biggest and most obvious is the problem of environmental degradation - partly driven by greed and addiction to materialistic excess, partly by arrogance (the notion of "taming" nature, or that nature exists for humanity's service), and by the problem of population growth (which I have been talking about since the 1970s) and global inequality. 

Environmental degradation, associated with population growth, clearing of forests and the desire for food, is why we came into contact with the virus. 

Beyond that, we have physical needs (such as exercise, being able to get food [again, much worse in less developed and/or poorer nations], etc), and mental-emotional needs (the mental health problems that are caused by loneliness, boredom, fear, etc)

We also have spiritual needs. 

Stripped of the distractions and artificial busyness of modern life, we have an opportunity to see ourselves and grow (if one is afraid of being alone, that is a problem; if one is unduly dependent on others, that is a problem; if one is living to consume, that is a problem), and to review the basis for our life. 

Spirituality is about how and why to live - about caring for others, being prepared to be patient and put the needs of all above oneself, but also understanding that one has genuine needs that must be met or managed in order for one to do that. In my case, I felt trapped in a lifestyle which is high stress, where I have people who - to decreasing extent - are dependent on me in a number of ways, and I can’t do what I wish (especially study and writing). I know I can leave, but that would abandon those I care about and breach my values. What this crisis has forced me to do, is be more "religious" (pun intended) about self care.

Spirituality is about why one should keep going - in my case, I consider that is so I can have the opportunity to contribute to this being a better world, especially after life gets back to the new normal. (I want to see more genuine global compassion, and FAR more GENUINE environmental consideration).

I consider a focus on hope risks being trite, as that can become a way to keep going until things are back to "normal". We have an opportunity for self-reflection and change now, as a world wide species, that is unparalleled. We can reset ourselves and our lives and lifestyles to be more compassionate, inclusive, and caring - of ourselves, yes, but also of others and the planet as a whole.

If we don't, the pandemic will be but the opening scene in a multi-act tragedy. 

WLNGRHDMT

Black Lives Matter!