Sunday 19 December 2021

Post No. 2,112 - the state of the world

I was talking recently to one of my sisters, and she was telling me about the string of problems they've had in the last six months or so. That actually triggered some thought on my part, as quite apart from the problems (health [including mental], economic, and other) caused by the pandemic, there are quite a few people who are going through a range of problems - some the result of flaws such as greed (leading to buying houses that are egregiously over-sized or over-flashy), others the outcomes of people coming to realisations that they should have a long time ago (such as the benefits of working from home, and that work is not everything), some the outcome of the nastiest, meanest and most cold-hearted (iron-hearted?) government we've ever had (certainly that seems to be so in the memory of living people - and I'm in the 60s and have talked to my elders on this), but others are matters that couldn't reasonably have been anticipated (such as certain forms of cancer)

I'm aware that some people are stating that their opinion is the world is going to be "forced" through a significant evolutionary step forward (too often referred to as "ascension", with a disturbing implication that there is need / expectation of growth being continued on the other side of that), and I'm starting to wonder if there may be something to that . . . 

For my part, that doesn't change what I'm trying to do (which is: make the world a better place) nor the way I'm going about it (the work on this blog being a significant, but not the only, part of that), but it does incline me towards increasing my precautionary planning. 

Even if we get through the climate crisis with only a manageable amount of devastation (which is looking increasingly unlikely) and finally get this pandemic under control, the mental, emotional, and spiritual "challenges" may continue. 

In my case, my increasing age and deteriorating health is making doing all this harder as well, but I suspect the principle may apply to other people as well - live in accordance with the principles of minimalism, live sustainably (walk softly on the earth), follow credible advice on issues such as the pandemic, be BPM spiritual, look after yourself as best you can, and do what you can to be prepared for unexpected problems.