Saturday 9 March 2024

Post No. 2,731 - Critter Evictions

My bedroom doesn’t have any insect screens - we have permission to install them, but just haven’t had the time, energy/motivation, and finances all at the same time to do so. This means that, when airing my room in daylight hours, I occasionally get the odd spider wander in - and spiders tend to find their way into houses anyway. So ... I have what we jokingly refer to as my “spider eviction kit”, which is a clear plastic cup and a bit of stiff paper that I use to trap and transport visitors outside to a suitable bush in our garden. 

Well, a few days ago, a cricket found its way in - which wasn’t much fun when they began singing late at night. I came close to catching the cricket a couple of times, but no success. 

Then tonight ... the cricket flew/jumped on to my table, and waited there while I grabbed my spider eviction kit and we found a nice home outside for them ...

I wrote a story once about rescuing a blackbird that had got caught in a cavity in our house (see here - and here for the possible return visit), but I have never had an insect rescue like this before ... 

The strange thought is ... did they know I would safely relocate them? 

I spoke to the cricket a few times over the last few days, explaining that I wanted to relocate them - but I had no expectation of them understanding the language sounds, of course, that was just me vocalising for my benefit as much as anything else, but ... could their sentience include some form of telepathy? 

I have the feeling now that the cricket jumped into me a couple of times over the last couple of days hoping I would relocate theem, but my startled reaction startled them, I think, and those were lost opportunities.

Curious ... 

Enjoy your new home, cricket friend.


If you appreciated this post, please consider promoting it - there are some links below, and theres also Instagram

Remember: we generally need to be more human being rather than human doing, to mind our Mӕgan, and to acknowledge that all misgendering is an act of active transphobia/transmisia that puts trans+ lives at risk & accept that all insistence on the use of “trans” as a descriptor comes with commensurate use of “cis” as a descriptor to prevent “othering” (just as binary gendered [men’s and women’s] sporting teams are either both given the gender descriptor, or neither).

Copyright © Kayleen White 2007-2024     NO AI   I do not consent to any machine learning aka Artificial Intelligence (AI), generative AI, large language model, machine learning, chatbot, or other automated analysis, generative process, or replication program to reproduce, mimic, remix, summarise, or otherwise  replicate any part of this post or other posts on this blog via any means. Typos may be inserrted deliberately to demonstrate this is not an AI product.     Otherwise, fair and reasonable use is accepted under Creative Commons 4.0 on an Attribution-ShareAlike basis https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/