Tuesday 22 December 2009

Post No. 097 - What do I do when my soul's a drama queen, dahling?

I'm afraid I tend very strongly towards contempt when people are drama queens. I've experienced quite a bit of pain and trouble in my life from such people, some of whom have also been (internet) trolls.

I wish to make it quite clear that these people are those who tend towards what is called "histrionic personality disorder": I do NOT include people who are "highly sensitive persons" in this, who are also people who may show signs of distress (not necessarily outwardly) when others in a situation (who are less sensitive) are not. Drama queens are those people who take pleasure at causing disruption to others, or attent to manipulate others by acting distressed (as opposed to genuinely being distressed) or making life so unpleasant for others that the others give in and do what the drama queen wants.

Hmmm ... that sounds like a few kids. The difference is, the drama queens I am writing about are adults, not children who are still growing, learning and being taught (incidentally, I favour my partner's view that children, particularly teenagers, are apprentice adults being taught to be adults by their parents).

OK, it's bad enough having to put up with drama queens in real life: what do you do when their iner essence, their soul is also a drama queen, so it's all coming from within/above.

Well, that is baiscally rubbish. The soul exists far beyond the possibility of being a drama queen - souls can and do have flaws, flaws which manifest into our personalities in this world, but the soul is not capable of being a drama queen.

Anyone who thinks their soul is a drama queen, or that the flaw of being a drama queen is coming from anywhere other than their desire to manipulate and control pothers, is deluding themselves.

Phew! I managed to keep all that printable ...

On the other hand, it is, in my hand, VERY important to keep in mind that other people may be more sensitive than you realise. I went through (metaphoric) hell as a kid, in part, because I was sensitive. I wound up quite withdrawn, and still have a few scars to work on, from the treatment I experienced then (you know, the sort of "toughen up" stuff that some teachers, camp leaders, etc like to dish out). To gain an understanding of what it is like to be sensitive (more sensitive than I was), have a look at the following links:
Try also the following books:
  • Aron, Elaine. 1996. The Highly Sensitive Person: How to Thrive When the World Overwhelms You. ISBN 0-553-06218-2.
  • Aron, Elaine. 1999. The Highly Sensitive Person's Workbook. ISBN 0-7679-0337-4.
  • Aron, Elaine. 2000. The Highly Sensitive Person in Love. ISBN 0-7679-0336-6.
  • Aron, Elaine. 2002. The Highly Sensitive Child. ISBN 0-7679-0872-4.
... and don't allow the (very different) drama queens to rule you or your life, or get away with nonsense: treat them as you would an internet troll :)

Love, light, hugs and blessings

Gnwmythr

Tags: attitudes, bullying, control, emotions, forgiveness, interpersonal interactions, personal responsibility,

First published: Sunday 17th January, 2010

Last edited: Sunday 17th January, 2010