Tuesday 12 July 2016

Post No. 900 - Book Review: “Psychic Self-Defence”, by Dion Fortune



Dion Fortune was definitely a product of her time – her language and approach was very pre-1960s counter-cultural revolution, and thus may seem a little archaic to us, but she has some very good points in her book “Psychic Self-Defence: A Study in Occult Pathology and Criminality” (my copy: The Aquarian Press, 1988, ISBN 0-85030-766-X).
Probably two of the main ones for me are:
  • that psychic attack can be “accidental”, or unintentional, and occur for reasons that are not malicious;
  • that the field of psychism attracts, at times, some unstable people, and thus it is necessary to check whether a psychic attack is real (objective) or the outcome of fantasy or internal flaws (e.g., attention seeking, or subjective). This is actually one of the aims of the “Divine Light test” that I was taught, but consideration of this can go further, if you are assessing whether someone else is experiencing psychic attack or … something else.
Ms Fortune’s path is not Wicca, Paganism, New Age, or any of the other post-60s paths: it is Western Mystery Tradition, and, as such, includes, for instance:
  • a differentiation between Right Hand Path (“good”) and Left Hand Path (“not good”) – see here for more on this. Although this is much better than allocating colours (which has shades of racism), I prefer my descriptions of BPM for “good” and nonBPM for “not good” – or, at the very least, balanced positive (“good”) vs unbalanced (“not good”); and
  • very fixed ideas about how Reality was and Spiritual Development should be. Some of those ideas – e.g., service, are, in my opinion, good – or, at the very least, worth some genuine reflection.
I have points of agreement and disagreement with the content of this book.
For instance, I dispute Ms Fortune’s statement that one needs to identify the method and/or source of a psychic attack before being able to defend against it – that’s a bit like claiming one has to know what caused a hole in a leaking ship before fixing it: in many cases, you don’t need to know that, you just need to plug it. However, to continue with the analogy, there are some times when you need to know what caused said leak – for instance, if that was caused by the first outlying part of a reef, you also need to change course … or, perhaps a better analogy, if the leak has a very high pressure behind it, you need a plug that will resist high pressure, rather than just normal hull depth pressures.
It seems to me that the “need” for knowledge of details is something that is strongly emphasised in older western mystery traditions: I suspect that could be based on their view that energetic effects / magick is actually caused by various classes of spirit, and thus one needs to know what spirit to conjure in order to defeat the threat. My view, on the other hand, is that if one simply looks at the energy at hand (or, if one cannot do that, the effect the energy is having), one can deal directly with that, irrespective of the source. (This is probably a bit like the best way to defeat the “little green men” type of threat that the Russians used in Crimea and eastern Ukraine: historically similar events show that it is best to go flat out against the little green men without worrying about where they came from, or who is behind them.)
As a digression from what is in this book, I also dispute that one needs spirits to do magick: humans are quite capable of doing that, which is perhaps what the century of phenomena-based (also called physical) mediumship from mid-19th to mid-20th century was all about – demonstrating human potential.
I consider there was probably too much emphasis on telepathy and hypnosis when the author is considering psychic attack (psychic energy potentially can have a direct effect), although many modern approaches to the topic fail to consider this aspect adequately (see also control). I flat out disagree with the description of what happens at death (i.e., that there is some sort of split of consciousness - my term).
I found Ms Fortune’s reference to “occult police” an interesting idea, one that I will explore through meditation, as it has similarities to what I’ve seen done by BPM  Guides, people’s Higher Selves, and various hierarchies and Deities, and I want to satisfy myself as to whether there is an actual group identifiable as such, or whether that is the net impression created by the list I just gave.
On the other hand, I found the tendency to use “pathologies” (e.g., “The Pathology of Non-Human Contact”) unhelpful, and consider that reflects (a) the poor communication of what was considered to be “scientific” at that time – particularly psychology as it was then (and as it tends to still be, at times), and (b) the harshly judgemental and confining nature of the society Ms Fortune had the misfortune to live in.
In fact, one of the reasons I recommend reading this book is because it helps to give an insight into those times. On the other hand, in modern times there is, perhaps, too strong a tendency to overlook flaws of character as being acceptable on the basis of being inherent to a person (or, perhaps, confusing inherent worth, value and characteristics), whereas they should perhaps be changed.
The view on witchcraft is also narrow and focused on one set of behaviours that neochristians and superstitious folklorists have chosen, over the last couple of millennia, to label as witchcraft is such a way that the word has become an epithet (in the nasty sense of that word’s meanings). I am a witch, and proud of the good that I do.
I quibble with the differentiation between thought form and “artificial elemental”, as I consider the latter, as described in this book (which has NOTHING to do with the magickal elements or Nature Spirits) are a subset of the former. On the other hand, I agree with the comments about “residual psychic energy”.
The discussion on good and evil, whilst very neochristian in its formation, has an interesting discernment between “negative evil”, described as the Newtonian (Third law) reaction to the force of “good”, and encompasses the beneficial Principle of Destruction / Scavenger of the Gods (I wonder how that compares to Atropos?), and “positive evil”, which ranges from chaos ( * SIGHS * ) to “the Qlippoth”.
There are also some common sense comments about risk, non-psychic dangers of some groups (e.g., financial), and the connection between psychism and mental illness in SOME people (the terminology reflects the very young state of psychology, and the harsh judgementalism of the Victorian Era in the United Kingdom).
There is a northern hemispheric bias at times as well, as the author fails to realise that the Sun moves counter-clockwise in the Southern Hemisphere.
The description of psychic attack methods is reasonable, but, in my experience, it is a combination of uncontrolled projected emotion (e.g., hate or rage – often from jealousy or envy or resentment) and an aura that has not been closed (or not adequately closed) that results in the overwhelming majority of psychic attack – not malicious misuse of telepathy or talismans, etc.
In terms of defence against psychic attack, I agree with continuing top use conventional, everyday, garden-variety doctors, but then I would describe the techniques to be use as (a) the psychic fundamentals (see my signature block below), and (b) clearing, including rescue, IF it is needed. The methods described by Ms Fortune are reasonable (except that I do not necessarily hold with the half-day renewal requirement – it may be less, or longer, so I CHECK), but if they cause discomfort in the person who is seeking defence, other methods should be found, lest the discomfort undo the work.
And that last phrase tells me I’ve done enough on this review :)
You can find other reviews on Amazon, in Spiral Nature magazine, on Reality Sandwich (which goes beyond this book to look at other sources), and on Good Reads (I’m not a member, so I’m trusting the reviews are worthwhile)
Oh, and Ms Fortune completely fails to mention indirect psychic attack ... 


Love, light, hugs and blessings
I am revamping my former website, and getting at least one other underway (pronounced "new-MYTH-ear"; ... aka Bellatrix Lux … aka Morinehtar … would-be drýicgan or maga ... )
My "blogiography" (list of all posts and guide as to how to best use this site) is here, and my glossary/index is here. The reasons for my caution when using Wikipedia are here.

I started this blog to cover karmic regression-rescue (see here and here), and it grew ... See here for my group mind project, here and here for my "Pagans for Peace" project (and join me for a few minutes at some time between 8 and 11 PM on Sunday, wherever you are, to meditate-clear for peace), and here for my bindrune kit-bag. I also strongly recommend learning how to flame, ground and shield, do alternate nostril breathing, work with colour, and see also here and be flexible. 
May the best in me, my Higher Self,
and those of the Clear Light who assist me,
help me to keep myself grounded, centred and shielded,
to be Balanced and a Fulcrum of Balance,
a centre of Balanced Positivity and Spiritual Maturity,
with my aura continuously cleansed, cleared and closed,
repelling all negative or unwanted energies,
whilst allowing positive, balancing and healing energies in and through.
The real dividing line is not between Christianity and Islam, Sunni and Shia, East and West. It is between people who believe in coexistence, and those who don’t.
Tom Fletcher, Former UK Ambassador to Lebanon
  • All of the above - and this blog - could be wrong, or subject to context, perspective, or state of spiritual evolution ...
Tags: Dion Fortune, indirect psychic attack, Psychic attack, psychic self defence,
First published: Tysdagr, 12th July, 2016
Last edited (excluding fixing typo's and other minor matters): Tuesday, 12th July, 2016