Wednesday 14 June 2023

Post No. 2,468 - Having (spiritual) knowledge

Having knowledge is not just something to enjoy and tick an achievement box. 

It also is a test: 

if you can, how are you using it to make yourself and existence better?

That isnt possible with all knowledge, of course - e.g., knowing that starboard hand maritime navigation marks are green doesnt give one a way to make the world better (although fewer problems will occur if you use that information correctly ... ), but almost all spiritual and much psychic knowledge has the potential to make yourself a better (or less bad) person, or the world a better (or less bad), and thus the fact of having that knowledge is a test - an initiation, if you will. 

It doesnt mean you have to change all of creation, or be perfect in your application of that knowledge, or use it without help/guidance or seeking help/guidance: it just means you need to make what effort you reasonably can. 

Years ago I was being given a hard time by someone of a particular faith (that I used to have, decades ago - and for some decades from the 1970s) over one aspect of an LGBTIQA+ spirituality conference I helped organise, and they were completely flummoxed when I asked them what is to me a simple question: 

how is the world a better place for you having that faith?

That was an aspect emphasised to me by my main teacher in the same faith, who had emigrated from Thailand after spending six months as a monk, three months in the jungle, when he was younger. 

The critic, as with, in my opinion, too many Westerners in that religion, had head knowledge, and no lived experience; my teacher had both.

A similar version of that question is one of the reasons I enjoyed being interviewed on a community TV show Harmony in Diversity many years ago (although after the incident I am referring to).

So ... keeping in mind all I have been writing about having a correct balance between spiritual doing and spiritual being, and the need in this frenetic over-consuming over-materialistic world to be more human being than human doing ... how are you and the world better for the knowledge you have?


PS - focusing on application of knowledge also helps minimise the risk of what is sometimes termed spiritual indigestion


Possible flaws 

Where I can, I will try to highlight possible flaws / issues you should consider:

  • there may be flawed logical arguments in the above: to find out more about such flaws and thinking generally, I recommend Brendan  Myers’ free online course “Clear and Present Thinking” 
  • I could be wrong - so keep your thinking caps on, and make up your own minds for yourself.

 

If you appreciated this post, please consider promoting it - there are some links below. 

Vote Yes for the Voice in Australia.  

Finally, remember: we need to be more human being rather than human doing.