Monday 17 January 2011

Post No. 210 - Equanimity

As I did some work on one of my (many :) ) personal flaws this morning, I received a suggestion from my Guides to try and view success and failure equally.

Now, this does not mean "don't try", or "don't try to learn from mistakes and do better", but it does mean "don't over-invest emotional energy and self esteem in obtaining a particular outcome". After all, one cannot guarantee either success or failure [1], owing to such vagaries as karma, other people's free will, etc. If you build your self image on being X, or being able to do Y or accomplish Z, if any circumstances occur when you can't X, Y or Z, you risk damaging your self perception - after all, you don't have to DO anything, or BE anything in particular to be worthy of love ... [2]

As I mentioned, none of this should be taken as meaning "don't try" or "don't care", it's just a case of being balanced in your perspective on your trying and caring.

Rudyard Kipling wrote something about this in his poem "If-" [3]
"If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster and treat those two imposters just the same"

Worth a thought? It's certainly good practice for considering the ups and downs of a sequence of lives ...

Love, light, hugs and blessings

Gnwmythr

Notes:
  1. Oh - you'd like an example of how one can fail to fail? Well, I know one poor, sad fellow many years ago who decided to commit suicide by car, got himself drunck, got up to high speed and tried to drive into a tree - and missed (owing to a lack of visual focus resulting from aformentioned drunkenness). I've written that a bit lightheartedly, but it really was - as with all such episodes - incredibly sad. Unfortunately, I can't even say "it all turned out OK", as he moved shortly after that and I lost contact with him.
  2. Although I like to manifest my love for others/creation by trying to be/do "good" ...
  3. I like the link to the Bhagavad Gita in the Wikipedia article on this poem.
This post's photo is yet to be posted.

Tags: attitudes, self esteem, caring, love, guides, balance, equanimity,

First published: Manadagr, 17th January, 2011

Last edited: Monday, 17th January, 2011