Saturday 24 August 2019

Post No. 1,394: Reflections and Cross-posting

The post below originally appeared on my political blog at https://politicalmusingsofkayleen.blogspot.com/2019/08/reading.html.

When you read it, on this blog, I would add that:
(a) I am pleased with the spiritual/psychic work I've done,. and that has, to quite an extent, rule me out of a political or public role - and I may well pursue such as role in any future life;
(b) I have done my fair share of human rights and community activism, and that is both rewarding and likely to continue, albeit from "within the system" - and I hope to do so in future lives, whenever that is needed;
(c) the last score of years have been tied up with family, and that has really been what has set my direction - and kept me from an early retirements, etc :) In a nutshell, those obligations have taken precedence over all; and
(d) my currently declining health (more than just the flu) is forcing me to reconsider how much pressure I take on, and my direction of life.
PS - existing with a clear and healthy aura (which goes further then genuinely being a decent person) is, incidentally, sufficient to actively make a positive contribution to the world - a point I have a tendency to forget, in the quest to do more with whatever time I have left on the world.
*****

I'm currently reading - amongst quite a few other books - Doris Kearns Goodwin's "Team of Rivals" (Penguin, 2009, ISBN 978-0141043722), about Abraham Lincolns politically astute rise to power and (when I get to it) his presidency (I know part of the book inspired the film "Lincoln", but I haven't got that far yet). Something that has struck me is how Lincoln acheived the nomination as Republican candidate by (a) not annoying people, and (b) planning to be everybody's second choice.

I'm also struck by the importance of "not annoying" others by the experience of a reformed white supremacist, who said not being hardline against him helped him to change, and the writings of Paul K Chappell, who I've mentioned previously (e.g., here). In “The Art of Waging Peace” (pub. Prospecta Press, reprint 2015, ISBN 978-1632260314 [Amazon]), Mr Chappell - in a section on listening, and how the target is to change the position of enough people, not all people - quotes the following comment by Leslee Goodman on how Mr Chappell was able to change the mind of a pro-war person:
"I had lost patience with one such person after ten minutes of unproductive dialogue. The Chappell showed up. He respectfully engaged my critic for a full forty-five minutes. Their conversation ended with the man thanking Chappell for listening to him and accepting a copy of [his book] The End of War. A few weeks later Chappell ran into the man and learned that he had read the book and had changed his mind about war as a means of ending terrorism."
So . . . outrage - personally satisfying though it is for dealing with the frustrations and trauma of living under bigotry, hate and backwardness - may not help make the world a better place . . .

I'm not ready for that level of objective engagement as yet, but I've decided to work at it :)

Apparently Ms Goodwin's book inspired Barack Obama to get involved with politics. I wonder how my life might have gone if I'd come across something like this as a teenager, or even a decent inspiration instead of living under Queensland's evil "Great Flying Peanut" and his gerrymander . . .

Ah well, I will do what I can with what I have and where I am - beginning right after I and my family all get over the most debilitating flu I've ever experienced :)

It has been interesting seeing the internal political processes in the party I have joined. If I can keep my health together, I'll probably have another go at getting elected to a role in a couple of years. In the meantime, policy committees remain my primary interest.