Friday 10 January 2020

Post No. 1,475 - Joining political parties, and "Penny Wong: Passion and Principle"

Some time ago, I joined a political party (and am still a member). At the time, I wanted to try to make a difference for the better from inside the party, and thus on politics (as me being actively in public service is something I am 15 years beyond). It has been quite difficult, partly for the reasons I expected (the main one of which is that I am but one of many, and have to persuade others inside the party), and partly because I didn't know the party was structured around decision making.

I've learned quite a bit on this since then, mostly from talking to other members, but also from reading - histories (including of parties), and biographies.

That all helped, but I have learned far more from reading "Penny Wong: Passion and Principle", by Margaret Simons (which I've mentioned here and here).

As an example, when Anthony Albanese made a comment about simplifying the ALP platform document, he mentioned the multiple comments about LGBTIQ people. Now, having lived through the frequent betrayals of LGBT rights by the Australian Democrats, and the unaddressed transphobic savagery of the Equal Marriage campaign, that rang warning bells for me. Having read this book on Penny Wong, I now know that Anthony Albanese has, in fact, a long history of gay rights activism.

As an outsider, a member of the public, I had no way of knowing that, unless I chanced upon an article spelling that out.

Speaking generically, I think that illustrates the sorts of issues that people joining parties need to be made aware of - they need to be brought from outsider status to fully informed insider status. (Incidentally, I've had quite a few interesting discussions on this with a friend of mine who has been a candidate, and also has played a key role in the Australian Democrats - which went out of existence some time ago, but I think they're back now.)

There are two other points I want to cover here that this biography brings out:

  1. the price of being involved in politics; and 
  2. the amazing talent of Penny Wong - especially in international politics.
The price is a major impost on one's life, and the life of one's family (which is one of the main reasons I did nothing 15 years ago). It goes, however, beyond that, to the unseen price of "being in the room" - which can include supporting policies one is against, which Margaret Simons' portrays Penny Wong as having to do over the Equal Marriage ban.

Very few people can do that - and not all who do, do so without damage.

The other price is abuse - including rabid homophobia and transphobia, which is the biggest reason I didn't stand, and why I now do not do door knocking or phone banking for candidates: it would take just one of the many, many, many bigots to get off-side at contact with me, and they would possibly then turn that into a campaign against whoever I was trying to help (which is why I haven't named the party, although most Australians would work out which one I joined).

It is sadly clear to me that very few people know just how intense the problems of homophobia and transphobia are in Australia.

Moving on to the second point, I now feel that I shouldn't have bothered with quite a few of the articles I've written on international affairs, as it is clear that Penny Wong has already covered (or probably covered: I haven't actually read them yet) key parts of what I have been writing about - and much better than I could ever dream of.

I'm going to try to do a proper review of this book, but for now, I am going to recommend people consider buying and reading it - and Penny Wong's speeches and writing.