Thursday 12 March 2020

Post No. 1,513 - Cross Posting: The releasing of the racist worst in some people

This originally appeared on my political blog at https://politicalmusingsofkayleen.blogspot.com/2020/03/the-triggering-of-racist-worst-in-some.html.

At one of the supermarkets I go to, there is a busker who is in a similar age group to me, and we often chat about life (his has been very interesting), the universe and everything. He is slowly getting rid of some of his collection of books, and he'll keep any on society and human rights for me to have a look at. Some of those he now sells on line - with one, in a bit of social satire, being described as portable source of toilet paper, with individually numbered sheets so you know how many you have left ☺(the platform didn't see the humour, and made him take the ad down).

More seriously, when I was talking to him earlier this week, he described an incident a few days before where a man of Caucasian appearance walked in to the shopping centre and king hit a younger man of Asian appearance - and I keep using "appearance" because I know, for instance, 4th generation Australians who have what many would consider an "Asian appearance".

Just before the hit, the man of Caucasian appearance said to his victim "you'll all kill us" (I've taken out the expletives). After the hit, the coward walked off. The police were called (I presume there is CCTV footage, so I hope they find and charge the person concerned), and the still bleeding young man was taken outside, where he and my busker acquaintance chatted.

The young man was, in fact a student who had come here to study.

He was studying Buddhism.

And this is how white Australia responded.

I am appalled - and ashamed of my nation.