Wednesday 23 December 2020

Post No. 1,728 - My most popular posts from 2020

Now that Blogger has improved its statistics feature, I thought I'd look back at the last 12 months, and see what articles have been most popular.

I'm going to exclude the news posts, which leaves me with the following:

  • at 4th: Post No. 1511 - the Relativities of Mastery vs. Mastery of Change
    I've been working on my autobiography, spurred into it following a recent radio interview, and one of the things that is clearly going to crop up is the issue of the relativities of mastery.
    People in a particular region/area or group/social circle/organisation will often develop a level of mastery and innovation that is outstanding for that context, but when it is compared to others, it is not necessarily so.
    As an example of that, . . .
    What very few people are prepared to admit, is that ideas can genuinely occur simultaneously to several people. The best example of this is probably Charles Darwin and Alfred Russel Wallace, who both came up with the idea of evolution through natural selection, at around the same time.
    In my personal life, I've seen others independently come up with ideas I've had - I'm thinking of form of semi-solid sail that I saw had been patented by someone else around three decades ago, but another example is the SWATH.
     . . .
    Teach children that things always change, and one needs to be comfortable with that. If one develops an outstanding solution for an existing problem that is later made irrelevant by someone else's development in that area, it is the ability to develop a solution that is real and meaningful and lasting, and THAT should be focused on, not the outcome of that skill.
    I'm not convinced that one should focus on being able to cope with change as being good, as there will be variations in how well people can do so, and there are often other skills that are valid and important - more so than the notion of "coping with change";
     . . .
  • 5th: Welcome to Waring (wombat) season
    For those of you who are in or near Melbourne, Australia, welcome to Waring season - according to the Kulin people's system of seasons. For information . . .
    (sadly, the link for information no longer works);
  • 7th: Post No. 1,498 - Aggression
    Well, I've stayed off social media for years because it seemed to consume time and energy. Having now been on there for a small while, I can vouch for that, and also for the "shoutiness" and aggression of social media (the takedowns by people I am supporting are a particular problem), but also the support, and the breadth of thinking there. It is also a place not to change all minds - some are set in their bigotry, hatred, or fanaticism, and won't change; others will.
    It is a place to . . .
  • 8th: Post No. 1,507 - Toxic Positivity
    I have heard a self-evidently true, accurate and useful term: toxic positivity.
    I've made this a specific post so I don't lose track of the term.
    (I have also now put the term on my glossary - see here).
  • 10th: Post No. 1,526 - Coping with the pandemic
    It's only been a few weeks, and already some people are showing signs of stress. I'm fortunate not only to be an introvert, one with a strong inclination towards being a hermit in recent years, but also to have been doing things like meditation since I was 14.
    We're seeing an apparent split of people into two groups . . .

I may also do a post on which posts have been overlooked that are worth more attention . . .

Also, one of the aspects of blogging that I find most fascinating is where people view my blogs from. This year, the main views have come (from most to least) from Italy, the USA, the United Arab Emirates, Russia, Australia, Portugal, France, Ukraine, Romania and “Other”.