Wednesday 23 December 2020

Post No. 1,729 - Some Thoughts on PTSS

A bigot who claims they've stopped being a bigot and thus all is well is like a thug committing a violent assault who stops and then tries to get their bruised, bleeding and broken victim to say all is well - and possibly for the same reason: to avoid the consequences, whether legal charges, moral criticism, or karma. 

This is a particular issue for me, as I am experiencing a recurrence of PTSS from decades of ongoing transphobia - the flashbacks are an absolute s**t. (There are actually other causes as well, but it is the transphobia that has been triggered.)

By the way, post traumatic stress syndrome is the current term for what used to be called PTSD: by using the word "syndrome" rather than "disorder", a whole stack of negative connotations are avoided (as I tried to explain to my former doctors - which is why they are now former).

So . . . what to do? 

Well, I keep going with my meditation and self awareness work, but I also need to resume counselling (which helped with the PTSS I was experiencing a while ago from past DV and sexual assault/abuse - including childhood). Its been a bit difficult to get that during the lockdown (especially as the counsellor I had been seeing has moved, so I am on a quest for a new counsellor, and it is important they match), but (a) the lockdown has eased here, (b) the medical profession has caught up with this thing called the Internet, and (c) I've now got a good medico. 

Alternative practices have a role and a place, but when you need conventional medical assistance, get it. 

This is particularly important during this pandemic, when there is so much conspiracy fantasy rubbish floating about the place. 

Information on PTSD here and here, and complex PTSS here. For those who need urgent assistance (in Australia), see here