Monday 23 August 2021

Post No. 1,996 - my version of Paganism

One of the things about Paganism is being part of a tradition - a spiritual lineage, if you will. 

I started by exploring Wicca, but found its transphobic elements problematic (decent Wiccans appear to be getting that under control now). There have been other paths I've explored (and the word "explore" is not a trivialisation: I LIVED those paths - studied and applied them - for several years each), and I've witnessed the moral superiority prancing that is masquerading as "concern about cultural appropriation" (which goes back for millennia, and is part of evolution: however, as encountered today, cultural appropriation can be a very real problem)

The disingenuity and childishness of many of these debates ("my tradition is better than yours") has been very off-putting, as has much of the dated and limited methodology of these traditions. 

For me, my practice is about energy. Devices - such as crystals - that aid the use of energy are good, but some objects (e.g., "witch jars") are just a vulnerability that needs to be looked after - and what happens when you die? Does someone else have to look after it? Will that energy ever be cleared, or will it be locked for all eternity in a collection of objects that keeps growing until it is of a size to swamp reality? (OK, I'm getting as little carried away there ... ) 

Such devices and methods have their place as TEMPORARY matters, but not permanent. 

There is also a question about how much of a tradition can be used on other planets or while travelling in space. 

Yes, some matters are related to being in a particular location - which applies to locations on a planet, as well as planets themselves (apart from anything else, we will eventually start travelling to other planets) - are we really saying people on those other planets cannot practice?

What about while people are in space? 

I've had a lifelong interest in extraterrestrials. My opinion is that there are elements of spirituality that are truly universal - in that they exist, apply and can be used, in all parts of the Universe. 

Unfortunately, the term "universal" has a lot of negative connotations ... should I be describing my spiritual practice as "planet free"? "Free of planetary associations" doesn't work as I have interest in astrology. "Galactic" is a limitation as well as a crock (I had to edit out my use of some ... ah, "colourful" Australian vernacular there.) 

Words can be a challenge. 

What can also be a challenge is decency. I'm finding too many people in the extraterrestrial movement to be racist (look at the use of white people in imagery), homophobic, transphobic, suppressing of bisexuality & intersexuality & queerness, politically conservative, etc. 

They're certainly not - in any true sense -  "universal" on this planet, let alone others.