Saturday 28 August 2021

Post No. 2,000 - Cross posting: The superficiality of some activists

This originally appeared on my political blog at https://politicalmusingsofkayleen.blogspot.com/2021/08/the-superficiality-of-some-activists.html.

***

As I wrote in my last post, I am stunned by the recent actions of a party that seeks to portray itself as progressive - but I am also flabbergasted by the superficiality of some activists who claimed the ALP and the neoliberal party were EXACTLY the same. 

That position was backtracked from when I mentioned the abhorrence of having Morrison as a leader after a next election, and I gained the impression that the earlier statement was not a well reasoned piece of lobbying, it was a simplistic "device" - and exactly the sort of fashionable cynicism that I am concerned with, that discourages people from getting involved in politics.

I also consider it important that political activists have an understanding of what is required in achieving change in a representative democracy where the representatives reflect the diverse mix of views - and the inequity of political clout - of various groups in society. As a starting point, I suggest the film "All the Way"