Tuesday 18 July 2023

Post No. 2,504 - The hijacking of the concept of “maya” by conspiracy fantasists

This weeks Dreamland episode was an interview which had a significant focus on Paramhansa Yogananda, whose autobiography I read in the 80s - see https://youtu.be/ZFIxTmg3pfQ. Its a reasonable interview, but nothing particularly new to me, but this episode gets into the concept of Maya - i.e., that the physical world is a world of illusion (see https://www.vedanet.com/the-meaning-of-maya-the-illusion-of-the-world/), and that got me thinking about an annoyance. 

The main focus of Maya is that our values are often wrong, unless we are living BPM  spiritual lives. As a kid and young adult, I saw people using formulaic approaches to living - often inherited unthinkingly from parents, and these often perpetuated bigotry and violence. 

I even experienced one chronologically adult cishet white woman who thought the violence of slapping was acceptable!

I can understand people doing so if they do not know of any alternative, but once I started to realise we didn't have to be robotic automata to social conditioning, I started deliberately living to spiritual values to the best of my ability.

Thats all good - or, at least, reasonable. 

However, I have noticed, ever since The Matrix film came out, conspiracy fantasists focusing on the physical aspects of Maya - and latching on to anything that might support their unbalanced fetish about “things are not what they seem”.

Such people are so unbalanced in their focus that they consider human rights abuses such as poverty, existential crises such as the climate and nuclear threats, and the global spread of anti-freedom anti-democratic fascism to be insignificant compared to finding “evidence” that physical reality is not the be-all and end-all of existence. 

Its a bit like a kindergarten child being so offended at finding they are part of a planned education system under the overall guidance of an education department that they refuse to study and learn. 

I am finding too many conspiracy fantasists - especially in the ET/UFO/UAP field - who go beyond cheapening the concept of Maya to perverting it to being supposed evidence for their fantasies. 

It is immature, contemptible, and actively spiritually harmful. 

It needs to stop.


Assumptions / basis 

In writing this, I have assumed / started from the following: 

Possible flaws 

Where I can, I will try to highlight possible flaws / issues you should consider: 


  • there may be flawed logical arguments in the above: to find out more about such flaws and thinking generally, I recommend Brendan  Myers’ free online course “Clear and Present Thinking” 
  • I could be wrong - so keep your thinking caps on, and make up your own minds for yourself.

 

If you appreciated this post, please consider promoting it - there are some links below. 

Vote Yes for the Voice in Australia.  

Finally, remember: we need to be more human being rather than human doing.