Friday 5 July 2024

Post No. 2,826 - Training: techniques or ethics first?

I’m going to oversimplify and apply the irony/sarcasm sauce in spades here (with a dash of mix your metaphor) and say that many martial artsy - sci fi-y - Star Warsy films seem to be based on people being trained in techniques first and ethics/cautions coming later (perhaps to hook people in with easy/quick/cheap interest?), with everyone being surprised when a recruit or two loses their way and starts using those techniques to do harm ... 

Thats why responsible occult/psychic/spiritual groups in the real world do  it  the  other  way  round: ethics first, including tests to prove commitment, and then get into techniques.

My monthly reminder about training exercises includes reminders about ethical matters - including that we are all subject to the laws of the land we live in. 

When I was running groups IRL, I did my best to exclude people who were ethically questionable (I missed a couple who were motivated by desire for relationships) and accepted that I would not get as many students as I wished - to the absolute bewilderment of some people who couldn't shift their thinking out of a market-it-deeply-if-it-could-be-good-because-lots-of-near-enough-people-is-wortj-a-few-Darth-Vaders - but that is NOT the case

If people have problems with a few initial tests of their ethical sincerity, bad luck for them. I have a moral obligation to do what I can to make sure those I am teaching are unlikely to do harm - which is not going to always work in this imperfect world, but I should be trying to the best of my ability - especially as many of the scenarios in movies could have been prevented with even a little common sense.

In the human rights field, there is a saying that the standard you walk by is the standard you are prepared to accept. 

In the technology field there is the saying FOMO (fear of missing out), which I suspect is why those people I mentioned above were unable to shift their minds out of their dangerous and irresponsible mindset.

In the psychic world, we should be guided by FOMDV - fear of making Darth Vaders ... 

I accept reincarnation; if people are not ready in this life, they will have an opportunity in future lives - or after death, as our learning/growing/development continues then. 


PS - to put some context into the issue of spiritual (NOT mundane or legal) authority, below is a diagram I was preparing as part of preparing a revised QAQC manual for regression-rescue circles (which I didnt complete, and likely wont). The terminology is a bit dated - I now use BPM, rather than BPF.



 



If you appreciated this post, please consider promoting it - there are some links below, and theres also Instagram

Note that I am cutting back on aspects of my posts - see here

Remember: we generally need to be more human being rather than human doing, to mind our Mӕgan, and to acknowledge that all misgendering is an act of active transphobia/transmisia that puts trans+ lives at risk & accept that all insistence on the use of “trans” as a descriptor comes with commensurate use of “cis” as a descriptor to prevent “othering” (just as binary gendered [men’s and women’s] sporting teams are either both given the gender descriptor, or neither).

Copyright © Kayleen White 2007-2024     NO AI   I do not consent to any machine learning aka Artificial Intelligence (AI), generative AI, large language model, machine learning, chatbot, or other automated analysis, generative process, or replication program to reproduce, mimic, remix, summarise, or otherwise  replicate any part of this post or other posts on this blog via any means. Typos may be inserrted deliberately to demonstrate this is not an AI product.     Otherwise, fair and reasonable use is accepted under Creative Commons 4.0 on an Attribution-ShareAlike basis https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0/