Friday 1 December 2023

Post No. 2,651 - A Preliminary Book Review: “Blackthorn’s Protection Magic”

Yesterday I came across a new book, reviewed by my favourite Druid: 

“Blackthorn’s Protection Magic | John Beckett”   https://www.patheos.com/blogs/johnbeckett/2023/11/blackthorns-protection-magic.html  

On the strength of that review, I got the free sample, and within an hour I had bought the book. 

I haven't read all of the book yet, and it has problems, but here are some of the things I like about it so far: 

  • it argues for actively intervening when needed (e.g., to stop abusers); 
  • it includes a wide range of measures/techniques, not only one form of practice, and has some excellent perspectives of safety - e.g., “what makes us feel secure


The problems: 

  • karma is clearly misunderstood, but that is largely the fault of misappropriation by Westerners - and I have adjusted my definitions of karma to more clearly address those amathiac & spiritual bypassing Westerners; 
  • the philosophy has a clear neurotypical bias;


I will possibly add to this review as I read more of the book, but for now, I will suggest, Dear Reader, that you consider getting the book.


Possible flaws 

Where I can, I will try to highlight possible flaws / issues you should consider:

  • there may be flawed logical arguments in the above: to find out more about such flaws and thinking generally, I recommend Brendan  Myers’ free online course “Clear and Present Thinking” 
  • I could be wrong - so keep your thinking caps on, and make up your own minds for yourself.

 

If you appreciated this post, please consider promoting it - there are some links below, and theres also Instagram

Remember: we generally need to be more human being rather than human doing, to mind our Mӕgan, and to acknowledge that all misgendering is an act of active transphobia/transmisia that puts trans+ lives at risk.