Friday 1 December 2023

Post No. 2,649 - An offset: one advantage to not having been diagnosed as neurodivergent while working

Not being diagnosed as neurodivergent during my working life was unquestionably bad for me - especially in terms of trying to deal with things like burnout and hostile physical work conditions that made me unproductive or at least les productive. 

However, it had one small, although too often ineffective, advantage: 

when I complained about ethical problems, those I was talking couldnt dismiss my complaints as just being based in my neurodivergence (which it was) - they had to listen and respond to my complaint on its merits ... which, too often, was some variant of:   “well thats just the way it is”,   which was code for either FBUembarrassment  fear of having to grieve at change or just an inability to let go,  being a sock puppet and thus unwilling (unable?) to change without their masters approval,  wanting to be part of the in-kids crowd,  some variant of the Dunning-Kruger  effect,  and/or “changing this could harm meeting my KPIs” ... 

The ability to think and perceive outside the box is something I appreciate, and want to keep for any future incarnations.

 

If you appreciated this post, please consider promoting it - there are some links below, and theres also Instagram

Remember: we generally need to be more human being rather than human doing, to mind our Mӕgan, and to acknowledge that all misgendering is an act of active transphobia/transmisia that puts trans+ lives at risk.