Saturday 16 December 2023

Post No. 2,664 - Some interesting reading/viewing [Note: Content Warning - links to distressing reports on some topics. Reader discretion is advised]

Note: CONTENT WARNING - some of this content is about upsetting, disturbing or triggering events & attitudes. Seek competent help - including professional - if you need it. READER CAUTION IS RECOMMENDED! For anyone distressed by anything in this post, or for any other reason considering seeking support, resources are available in Australia here, here, and here. In other nations, you will have to do an Internet search using terms such as mental health support - <your nation>(which, for instance, may lead to this, this, and this, in the USA, or this, this, and this, in France [biased towards English-language - my apologies]), or perhaps try https://www.befrienders.org/

Here are some links that might of interest or value

  • “Why I’m becoming a digital minimalist in 2024”   https://charlierewilding.substack.com/p/why-im-becoming-a-digital-minimalist   and   “why I’m becoming a digital minimalist in 2024”   https://youtu.be/h6EYFzeYFZY?si=lHt-frmwozI7B2Y  
    I have also found social media overwhelming at times, as well a drain on my energy and time, but I have also always been wary of too much tech, and ditched most social media earlier this year (as I wrote about ... several times, so I won
    t bother chasing a link). When I graduated from Uni and started working in central Qld, I only wound up with a phone (landline - mobile phones were still a few decades off) because the company I worked for wanted to be able to contact me after hours (I used pay phones to ring my parents), I refused to have a TV (until I missed Star Wars one week) - being quit happy with my cassette-radio player and a bunch of books, and I also put my mattress on the floor (partly for better support of my back, partly because it felt more comfortable, partly for the associations it evoked). I got pressured into joining facebook, but as soon as I got to the section where I had to enter a whole stack of irrelevant personal information and make a statement that they were correct, I stopped (suggestions at the time were to enter the correct details and change them immediately afterwards, but that would have been breaking my word [or lying, to be blunt], so I refused to do that).
    These days, there are things mentioned in the video that I have automatically been doing anyway - such as weekly texts to some people. Some things I don
    t do - for instance, I never wear headphones in public because I want to maintain my situational awareness (hypervigilance because of past assaults).
    There are also sustainability (emissions) aspects to consider. However, I am also minimising my physical footprint for a few reasons - including ease of being able to move house, which is likely at some stage in my life (the steep driveway here is becoming more problematic), and making it easier for my executor when I die
      
    • This time of year is often problematic for many reasons - including traffic accidents, abusive social events, and interrupted self care. For that reasons, I am going to include a few links on end of year matters (which are likely to be mostly from YouTube, which is why I have put the here):  
      • “STOP Forcing Autistic Kids to Like Christmas | Autism TikToks”   https://youtu.be/g28cC-nYhYA?si=PzBtsvNJJkASQbdJ   The alleged “mother” who was bitter about the festivities not being what she wanted is   (a) completely and utterly unfit to be a parent - she reminds me of those alleged “parents” who would rather children were dead than LGBTQIASB+   (b) lying, as those behaviours would have been present BEFORE the diagnosis   
      •  “Autism & Holidays: An Autistic Survival Guide for the Holiday Season [5 Step Plan]”   https://youtu.be/RbxwMDrEkuU?si=dosKcTA8mJ-O8nxK   Good, sound suggestions - with more to come from that channel next week   
    • “This is a Cult (and I'm tired of pretending it's not)”   https://youtu.be/b2gg4_4GIEg?si=6764M3i2e98kHG1a   Begins with a content warning that it is about cults and suicide. At 2:35: “As for language in this video, I will be using the word cult, but not as a pejorative to other or blame victims. Instead I’ll be using it for the opposite reason - to illustrate how anybody can become a victim and it’s never the victim’s fault.”   The video includes examples of multiple suicides at businesses (at 14:19) and a mass threatened suicide of 150 people unless working conditions improved. What these two companies were said (starting at 16:10) to “have in common is the absolute disregard for humans in the face of profit.” Has a very powerful conclusion from around 17:19.  
  • from Medium and similar: 

If you appreciated this post, please consider promoting it - there are some links below, and theres also Instagram.

Remember: we generally need to be more human being rather than human doing, to mind our Mӕgan, and to acknowledge that all misgendering is an act of active transphobia/transmisia that puts trans+ lives at risk.